Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:04:52 -0800
From:         Dave Bayer <daveb@CP.NET>
Subject:      Re: C.A.R.B. Legalities. Was  Re: VW Trends and Eurospec

KEN wrote: > Ben, the other thing to think about is the Federal rule that, if you do an > engine swap, that the engine come from a vehicle that is the same model year > or newer than yours.

We in California have this same regulation.

> What > I have heard (from folks who have inspected the conversion and from E-spec > themselves) is that the motors they were using were Rabbit/Golf/Jetta blocks > with an Audi 2.0l head on them that they put together.

It was a Audi 2.0l (3E) block with a 1.8 digifant head (so they could use pulsed injectors).

Benjamin Tan wrote: > CARB does no follow Fed Guidelines on engine swaps. They only care that > engine has the smog equipment for year of manufacture. They modified this > further for replacement engines after a number of citizens complained that > few VW's had original factory engines.

California does require that the donor engine be from the same model year or later. This may have been a 'recent' change, but it's been in effect ever since I started looking at putting a different engine in my van 3 years ago - and was still in effect in November when I last called to verify that one can do a gas to diesel swap. Did the new year bring new laws that I missed?

> There are millions of us VW owners in > California. Thanks to all those voting enthusiasts, we can now use Mexican > engines to (legally) power our VWs. The Fed or EPA requirements only become a > concern when you are exporting the vehicle to a different state or country.

I also have never heard of any pardon on Mexican engines?! If that were the case, why don't we see Mexican type2s in dealer showrooms? To get a car smogged, you need to have an engine in it that is on record with the CARB. Registering an engine with the CARB costs money (something like $5000 from when I talked to them 3 years ago).

dave