Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:50:47 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <thoekman@pop.morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
From:         "Dr. Theodore B. Hoekman" <thoekman@MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA>
Subject:      Questions about 1982 Aircooled Wesfalia A/C

A query to the list:

I am purchasing one of the A/C units that Ron Salmon posted about a few days ago. I have a 1982 Westy, but formerly diesel, now Jetta GLI gas engine. I have determined an appropriate compressor (the Sankyo 508) and a bracket I will need to mount it (Rabbit diesel factory air) from a 1989 article in VW and Porsche about a similar conversion. I am in limbo deciding about the best condenser configuration. I have never seen an air-cooled vanagon A/C and have no idea where the 'stock' condensers are mounted and how they are ventilated. Since there is no radiator, I assume they must be mounted under the body between the frame members somewhere, with a thermally triggered fan of some sort to maintain proper heat exchange.

The install kit comes with the whole 'dealer install' package, so I would suppose that I could use the usual air-cooled condenser position and fan arrangement. I am guessing, but suppose that position would involve a more continuous use of the fan for proper condenser function, since the air-flow caused by vehicle motion would be non-existent or reduced compared to the radiator mounted condenser.

Advice or comments from the list invited; would installation of the wbx radiator mounted condenser (with probably additional longer refrigerant lines required) have advantages over the position and mechanics of the air-cooled version. My guess is that the reason they went to the radiator mount in the wbx, is the elimination of a redundant fan motor with associated power draw and possibility for failure, but there may have been advantages I can't see as far as A/C function and reliability.

Cheers,

Ted Hoekman Dr. Theodore B. Hoekman, Assoc. Prof. Medical Informatics Faculty of Medicine Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NF Canada A1B 3V6 http://calloso.med.mun.ca (709)737-6703