Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:33:41 -0700
From:         John-Reed Maffeo <rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help! How to disassemble a halfshaft (Syncro Front)
Comments: To: "ThomasD. Hanlon" <hanran@earthlink.net>,
          Dave Williams <davew@larrl.ars.usda.gov>

Tom, Dave

Thanks for the info. I want to confirm that you are talking about the inner CV joint here. I can get to, and remove the circlip and the tap, tap, tap in the dimple makes sense (Oh, yeah. The catcher too;). Getting the one off will allow me to replace the boots on both.

Second question - How did you tighten up the clamps? Did you buy the special tool?

I will try this tonight.

I would like to remove the outside CV as well but, the position of the locking clip precludes its removal. The outer clip can only be expanded in place. It looks like I would have to have a way to hold the clip open whilst pulling the axle shaft away from the CV.

The only reason I would have to remove the outer CV is to replace the locking clip. I don't guess it is damaged so, perhaps I don't have to worry about it.

John-Reed Maffeo '86 syncro - Glacie Mesa, AZ

ThomasD. Hanlon wrote: > > John, > > I did the process with the help of the List members. It is more > foreboding in the anticipation than in the accomplishment. Hang the > shaft, dangling, in a vise with the CV joint on top, against the tops of > the vise jaws. After removing the circlip with a suitable tool, use a > rounded point punch/drift and a suitable hammer and gently tap, tap, > tap, tap, the shaft only IN THE DIMPLE in the center of the shaft. Avoid > hitting anywhere but in that spot, especially be cautious of the > splines. > Have a five gallon bucket of rags or soft catch material to cushion the > shaft as it falls, or get a helper to hold the shaft as it disengages > from the joint. > > Hold the joint parallel, like a dish position, to avoid spilling the > balls, and transport it to your cleanup or replacement area. > > Installation of the joint is the reverse, by using a block of wood to > cushion the tap, tap, tap. > > Tom Hanlon > Palm Springs, CA > 84 Westfalia

Dave Williams wrote: > I did the same procedure last summer. After getting the shaft out of the > vanagon, I cut off the old boot (it was in my way!) and removed the clip. I > then set up a bucket with some rags to act as "the catcher" for my outer > joint. I used a rubber mallet and tapped around the back side of the joint > (the part normally covered by the boot) and it popped off after 3 or 4 taps. > Seemed to have no ill affects though I was proud of myself for setting up > the bucket, I think it would be bad to drop a cv joint on a concrete floor. > > Hope this helps > > Dave Williams