Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:09:03 EST
From:         Benjamin Tan <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Steering Wheels
Comments: To: robot_works@hotmail.com

In a message dated 1/26/00 11:27:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, robot_works@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

<< Those GTI Steering wheels....the ones with the four buttons? I like them. Perhaps I will try and salvage one from the pick and pull.. Any traps involved in getting the horn wiring to work in my 84 with that GTI wheel? I am going to run the horn wires to a relay to drive a set of twin chrome boat horns mounted on the roof. Has anyone put boat air horns on their van?

tim >>

I didn't check to see if the size of the shaft and corresponding shoulder on the 84 is the same as my 87. The later-style Vanagon steering wheels look more aesthetically compatible with the later vans IMHO. It may look better than your early wheel. It kinda' gives the Vanagon a sporty feel again IMHO. Get the Jetta GLI or Corrado wheel with the leather covering instead, if you can. Gives that expensive feel.

Be careful that you do not bend the brass tab horn contact too high up. If bent too far, they either break or can get bent the wrong way when you turn the new steering wheel (remember the gap?). My horn was blasting steadily until I turned off the ignition, removed the wheel and pushed the tab back down slightly.

Oh yeah, one other thing, it does slightly obstruct part of the instruments. I for one find it acceptable.

BenT San Francisco