Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:22:29 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Clarification  Re: Coolant Leak...DO NOT FEAR...(Flame
              prevention, for me)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

What I am trying to saying about the leak is that if you are not having overheating problems and the leak is around the sensor and starts to leak, I noticed mine when I saw drips on the left rear the first time it appeared to be only loose so I tightened it. A few days later it appeared again, so I tightened some more. That seemed to fix it. A few weeks when I was about five hours from home on business, I was coming out and saw a puddle under my van, I knew that the leak was back. I had the old sensor so I put it back in, It lasted until the Hardees a few miles up the road. I discovered that the new gasket that came with the sensor was too big, and was not allowing the sensor to go in far enough, the sensor stripped the threads in the tank. So, I tried to put the old gasket on the new sensor and to seemed to work. I checked it after about ten minutes of driving, when I did it started to spray coolant when I barely touched it. I started to drive and checked it every ten minutes (I had over 3 liters of coolant under my rear seat). What I discovered is that after a while the leaking stopped and the level of coolant was even with the bottom of the sensor hole. When I got home five hours later, the level was the same with no running problems. The sensor cracked in half. The

My engine was new. I was not having overheating problems. I was not having engine problems. The rubber O ring simply was too big and did not allow the sensor to go down far enough to make a proper seal and after a while the pressure caused problems.

IF your sensor starts to leak suddenly MAKE SURE BEFORE you continue there are no other problems and CHECK OFTEN to make sure it was not another problem other than a leaking sensor!!! If the level levels out simply replace the sensor ASAP but do not panic. If the level continues to drop past the MIN mark on the tank STOP and do not drive until it is fixed or you might damage the engine.

ROBERT