Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:25:31 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Control arm bushings
Comments: To: "Buettner, Peter" <PGB@DOLBY.COM>

I've always heard that this is a mother of a job, and I was planning to bring all the parts to my mechanic and let him do the "grunt" work. But Peter, you make it sound so easy...

(I thought it was a 4-hour, greasy, sweaty, 4-busted-knuckle, I'll-never-do-that-again job)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Buettner, Peter [mailto:PGB@DOLBY.COM] Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 3:50 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Control arm bushings

Spring compressors are not needed for changing the Syncro springs/shocks. In fact you'll have a hard time getting them onto the spring! There's no space in there. Simply remove the stabilizer bar and loosen the thrust arm. The control arm will drop down enough so that you can easily take the spring out. Don't forget to remove the bracket that holds the brake hose first. Otherwise the full weight of the control arm is going to be supported by only the brake hose!

Have fun with you new springs! Peter 90 Syncro Westy SF, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Doktor Tim [ mailto:doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM <mailto:doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM> ] Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 2:09 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Control arm bushings

At 08:51 AM 01/26/2000 -0800, you wrote: >In getting ready to put in my new Syncro springs and soon-to-come OME >shocks, I want to replace any other pieces of the front end that make sense. >My primary concern is getting rid of the irritating squeakiness. >

>2. Is there anything else I should repair/replace while I'm at it?

Stabilizer bar has bushings at the attaching points to the lower arms and where it is affixed to the chassis. The thrust arms have a coupla big bushings on the front. Any of these can squeek when they get age hard and or deformed and worn. Power brush all the metal washers to remove corrosion. If they are pitted, replace them.

Do not use a $29.95 coil spring compresser from J.C. Whipme, or Harbor Freight. Very dangerous energy is stored when compressed enough for removal and installation. Use a quality brand name tool. Rent one if you hafta. It's kinda like a loaded gun. Always know where not to put hands and heads and knees and feet at all times.

>3. Is there any way to keep the new bushings from getting squeaky with time?

Rub a thin film of silicon paste on them, SylGlide, etc.

> >I'll probably do the front brakes, too.

Scrutinize the brake hoses. If they feel supple with no cracking or bulges, ok. If they are more than 10 year old originals, consider replacing them out of course.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim San Juan Island, WA

[text/html]