Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:09:33 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Control arm bushings
Comments: To: BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>

Brent, the 86-87 Syncros have different lower control arms that later models. The early ones are built up out of sheet metal and the new ones are solid steel. The hole in the older ones for the lower shock end appears smaller and this means that there is less room to tilt the spring/shock while installing the top end of the shock. Also the strut bar connects differently on the new one. These differences are not documented in the Bentley, which only shows the older type. The 2 WD Vanagons have a similar old and new style which is shown on Bentley pages 40.2 for up 84 and 40.7 for 85 and newer. I have done front shocks and springs 4 times on the old style Syncro. I never used a spring compressor and it was never fun. 4 hours at least and a helper for the worst parts. I am not sure which year the Syncro changed but I think it was 88.

Mark

Mark

Mark

BRENT CHRISTENSEN wrote: > > Part 1.1Type: Plain Text (text/plain)