Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:29:54 -0500
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      Clutch sticking
Comments: To: Syncro List <Syncro@onelist.com>

The clutch on my 87 Syncro has never had as smooth an action as that of my 84 Westy. I would compare the feeling to a tight heater control cable or a mountain bike brake cable that has sand grit in it, always worked, but with a rough action.

A few days back things took a turn for the worse, the pedal had a definite rough or tight spot about halfway through it's range of travel. Two nights ago it started sticking halfway up on the return from fully depressed, I had to pry it up with the toe of my boot to get the pedal to release fully. Before I got home the problem cleared up to where the pedal would return to rest, albeit with the rough spot about halfway through the range of travel. Last night on my travel to and from the YMCA it happened again and this time the sticking was worse requiring more effort to pry the pedal fully up to rest.

While sticking halfway up the clutch is partially engaged, producing quite a bit of slippage especially at anything other than a very light throttle, and prying up the pedal did cause the clutch to fully engage sometimes causing some interesting lurches as it did so. I might also mention that I noticed a bit of squeaking coming from the pedal linkage or master cylinder after I got home. Haven't checked the fluid level yet, have not noticed any leaks.

Any thoughts on the nature of my difficulties for the hydraulically challenged?

Thanks.

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA 1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1987 Vanagon GL Syncro 1991 Jetta Eco Diesel