Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:27:29 EST
From:         Jonathan Clay <Jonyqest22@AOL.COM>
Subject:      degree of failure (HG)

Okay....deep breath.....I have just come inside from taking of the protective plate that guards the #1+2 cylinders. As of about a week ago i notice a tiny drip of coolant coming off the front bolt that holds this tin guard on. Well i took it off and found no real major gusters or anything (can't be good anyhow), not even a trickle onto the tin guard. I know this coolant evatortes rather quickly so no telling. But what i did find is a noticeable gathering of coolant along the gasket. I wiped it clean and will be keeping an close eye on it through this winter. A little background....I just bought this westy about 3 months ago, driving only for about 400 miles, PO home to my house, and a few trips to work and back. But its been stored for the winter in my garage with a cover on the cement floor, new cap/rotor,oil change, fuel/oil filter change, fuel stabalizer, and a prof. grade cleaning!!!! I had never notice a drip or drop of coolant the entire time i was looking at it, about three wks. Never did give it a compr. check (dohhh). The care is currently up on jack stands waiting for the warmer weather. The temperature has been below zero (20/30/40) more than a few times so far.......So my question is ......could the weather be a major cause of this type of failure due to the metal/aluminum and gasket reaction to cold. Should I take her to get an honest compr check....I have yet to really enjoy its company so i/m a bit ...well really freaked out SCARED OUT OF MY GASKET IN VERMONT jon 90 westie 88 gl