Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:47:15 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Micro Fiche Reader
Comments: To: Undetermined origin c/o LISTSERV administrator
          <owner-LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>

I just got an e-mail back from my brother the graphics expert. He says that by using a "drum scanner" it would reproduce a photographic-quality image. The cost is about $40 per scan and can be done at a "service bureau"

I'm going to do a bit more research. If I can put something together, I may ask for fiche volunteers...

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Undetermined origin c/o LISTSERV administrator [mailto:owner-LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 1:24 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Micro Fiche Reader

Tom Rehkugler wrote: > > I remember there was a discussion on the list about this over 1 year ago. > I thought I someone said that the fiche could be scanned and put it on a > CD. I would think that this is the way to go.

You'll need a very good scanner to do this. I tried on one that physically scanned to 1200x2400 (I believe) and extrapolated to 9600x9600. I had to view the image down at the pixel level and I am sorry to say that the extrapolation process was not good enough. I could kind of make out the diagrams, but the numbers and text were illegiable. I wish I had a jumbo reader...

dave