Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:09:40 -0700
From:         Sean Reifschneider <jafo@TUMMY.COM>
Subject:      Propane valve replacement?

So I'm off on this adventure in Illinois, and with every tank refill it's getting harder to get the valve to shut off after filling. This is on an '87 AdventureWagen conversion... I don't fully understand how these tanks work, but the problem is as follows.

There is a single monolithic assembly for the intake, and another valve (looks like the gas grill kind) heading out to the appliances. This big assembly has a tube running to the "indicator port", and a knob on the side. They connect the fill hose, and then open the indicator knob on the side of this assembly. It then starts spewing some propane while the tank is filling.

When they go to shut off this valve, they have to use pliers now. I've been told that this is not right, and needs to be replaced. It did used to shut off without any problem. I can also smell gas sometimes when I'm around the car if the air is still...

It's been hard finding a place to help me with this. Apparently, all the new tanks use separate indicator and fill assemblies (probably exactly because of this problem).

Anyone have any recommendations on where I can get replacement parts for this? Finding a place that has the parts has been the problem. I don't really care if it's a single assembly, or two different parts, though I guess I'd prefer two parts so I could get a spare indicator. Once I get the parts, I can easily find somone to do the work, if I can't myself.

A functioning propane tank in January is a good thing. :-)

Thanks, Sean -- Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. -- Eric Hoffer Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com> URL: <http://www.tummy.com/xvscan> HP-UX/Linux/FreeBSD/BSDOS scanning software.