Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jan 2000 08:51:48 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Enhanced Auto Emissions Test in NJ
Comments: To: anc1cde@adelphia.net

Tim, we have an inspection station in Millville that I normally go to. Thankfully my van was due for inspection only a month before the test was initiated, but after the new contractors started. During this time period they were very lax and were basically letting things go through as long as it passed the old non-treadmill emmissions test. My van had a very obvious exhaust leak, but it tested good at the pipe, so they passed me with no problem (I didn't object :). And because they had taken over, my sticker is good for two years now instead of one. So I don't have to have my van inspected again until 2001 (yeah for me).

I did go through the line the other day with my sister's diesel Rabbit however. Took an hour exactly (we didn't have to go on the tread mill because of the diesel thing). You could tell the folks running the emissions test were still getting thier act together. I saw the fan that I knew was supposed to go in front of the radiator, but they weren't using it! Like I said it was obvious that they didn't have their act together yet. I hadn't thought about how the emissions of an aircooled Vanagon would be effected by the fact that the fan in the front wouldn't reach to where it needs air (scoops on either side of the van, not the front). The engine is going to run hotter, hopefully not overheat (if it did, I would sue the company and the state for negligence, anything to discourage this test from continuing.) If the engine doesn't overheat, if it just runs hotter, then your emissions test should turn out cleaner I would think. I have heard that a hotter running motor, runs cleaner, but please corect me if I am wrong.

Having fun in the NJ snow, Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Office (856)-765-1583 Shop (856)-327-0027 Fax (856)-327-2242