Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jan 2000 18:39:21 -0500
From:         John <johnpatt@WARWICK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine needed
Comments: To: Mike Covello <yankdriv@NECA.COM>

Mike Covello wrote: > > Dear Volks, > > I have an '86 Westphalia with 180,000 miles that I purchased this summer. I > successfully made a couple of 400 miles trips without major incident. Bring > the tach any where near the redline resulted in enormous clouds of white > smoke out the back! Coolant has been disappearing from the tank without > evidence of leaks on the floor. > > I had been blissfully ignoring the problem until it came time for CT > emissions testing. The story is a long one, but I'll just hit the > highlights. The bus failed and garage #1 replaced the O2 sensor and > catalytic conververtor. After this it failed by a considerably worse margin > and the bus now runs dangerously rich. Before this "fix" power was > adequate. Now it stumbles at 3,300 rpm, makes little power and black smoke > comes out the back. After 2 weeks the garage "gave up" and offered to put > the old parts back on and refund my $. > > Garage #2 said that yes you have the dreaded coolant leak into the heads. > In the interest of carefree cruising we started to investigate an engine > replacement. VWofA wants $2,300 for a short block (no heads) and has no > idea when it could be available. > > HELP! Is there a reputable engine rebuilder that you Volks can recommend? > > Mike Covello > Storrs, CT > 86 Westphalia Mike,

Contact Boston engine, they'll do you right. By the way the list price of a VW exchange long block (INCLUDING cylinder heads) is $2,230.00 (P/N 025 100 031 EX). It sounds like your VW dealer has his head firmly inserted where the sun never shines or they are just plain thieves. It doesn't matter which, deal with Boston Engine.

Regards, JP