Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:57:38 EST
From:         Ken Hunter <EVEHART33@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Diesel:was big trouble

Copied this from the diesel list; you never know what can go wrong. From: backintime@triton.net (LAWS HOME) Sender: owner-diesel@vwfans.com Reply-to: backintime@triton.net (LAWS HOME) To: diesel@audifans.com

Big THANK-YOU to all who responded to the stuck heat shield. Not only for the tips/ideas but the inspiration that drove me on to victory! This is truly a great community, I also noticed that someone had sent this to the vanagon site as well, so I will also thank them too. I went back at it again this a.m. not sure what the wind chill was but it was darn cold. Probably around 20F with a 15-20mph. wind. I know that isn't what was meant by trying "extreme cold" as opposed to heat! I ended up heating the (trying) shield again with my propylene torch and then I cycled the glow plugs a couple of times to heat it from the inside. I tried some more "shooters choice" and "cleansoil" then vibration again. BTW I had tried the turn-it-over-and -blow-it-out method yesterday before I broke the piece out! I ended up using a 5/16ths cold chisel and a 4 pound hammer, I tapped just hard enough to crack it ( listened for the odd ring ...thud, thud....tink!) once this happened I just moved over about 4-5mm's and did it again which broke a "pie shaped" piece loose. I used my modified surgical towel clamp and worked it under the shield and worked it loose and lifted it out. The debris that had dropped into the engine was successfully removed with a magnetic tool on a flexible rod ( you can bend it in odd angles) I fished this around until all the pieces were accounted for , plus a little extra carbon dust! When I fired it up it didn't smoke ( now I have to get used to that!) I more than likely will have better economy too. I called the P.O. and my guess was confirmed...I removed the original injectors @ 170k miles. I always wonder why people don't do maintainance like the manual tells you too. Injectors..test or rebuild EVERY 60k miles. Yes , I ALWAYS use anti-seize when reinstalling parts that will be in there a while! I will report back as to whether my rock solid 37mpg. changes. Tom