Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:36:13 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solved Bizarre 2.1L: Idle problem

At 02:10 PM 01/29/2000 EST, you wrote: >Hello > >The cause of the fast idle problem turned out to be the idle stabilizer >valve. This is the second problem I have had with the idle stabilizer system >in the past month! I recently replaced the stabilizer control unit. > >Thanks to Ken Wilfy and Peter Buettner who responded to me with the answer. > >Now to find a good used replacement! (I hope)

We know the original that has failed is 13 years old, if it was the original. How many miles were on it? If you want the next one to last that long and not fry another control unit within a month or year or two and or go foul itself in short order, consider a new valve for another looooong trouble free life of both the valve and control unit. Always when a transitorized control unit is determined to be non-functional, check for the item that killed it, in this case the worn motor valve and resistance therefrom, so you don't risk frying the new control unit with the cause of the failure unaddressed.

It always takes more time/money to actually resolve the problem than to just get things running again RIGHT NOW at the LOWEST possable immediate cost, not to mention frustration and schedule mayhem from compromises that can ensure a repeating failure on a supposed daily driver.

Less failure is more money in pocket, regardless the immediate cost of actual repair required to ensure systems efficacy.

Don't have the time/money to do it right? Where will you find the time/money to do it over?

Know that compromise adds to risk. Be realistic about your risk tolerance. Do as thy will.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim San Juan Island, WA