Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:24:51 -0800
From:         Thom Singer <ntsqd@MAIL.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [VWPICKUPS] Fw: Kleen-Flo Diesel Conditioner
Comments: To: Dominique Cormann <kozmik@home.com>
Comments: cc: VW pickup list <vwpickups@listbot.com>,
          diesel list <diesel@vwfans.com>,
          Diesel onelist <Audi-VW-Diesels@onelist.com>,
          mercedes diesel list <diesel@mbz.org>

We occasionally had a problem with the methanol used in the Top Alcohol Dragster I crewed on picking H2O out of the air. We were very careful to always cap the fuel jugs as soon as we were thru pouring it into the car. Bob would test the specific gravity of every jug's fuel b4 we left for a race. I don't know what the threshhold number he looked for was, but if it was off, we poured that fuel into the can for the lawn mower. (Yes he has an alcohol fueled lawn mover, he got tired of driving into town to get gasoline for it when he had all this alcohol about.)

So it makes sense to me that you could use alcohol to 'dry' diesel or gasoline. Consider how H2O attractive the glycol used in brake fluid is and how really chemically close it is to fuel alcohols and all this makes further sense.

FWIW, Carroll Smith advises that all salemen's claims be multiplied by .25

-- TS Chico, CA

Ours go to eleven.

Dominique Cormann wrote: > > Got word back from Kleenflo regarding the alcohol issue. > > The guy is in marketing, so I'll forgive his ignorance about canada and > the fact that we are only allowed to use low sulfur diesel here since > 1994. He didn't seem to be aware thats is a law here...oh well. But he > explained the other issues with the alcohols with similar logic to what > others have explained. Thank you guys for writing about your experiences > with different alcohols used as additives in the diesel fuel. It nows > seems fairly clear to me that the alcohol works effectively at absorbing > water, and thawing gelled fuel or working as an antigell if it hasn't > froze. It also looks like people should be looking for isopropyl alcohol > based products or glycol based products as opposed to methanol (methyl > hydrate), but even in a pinch this stuff could be used... > > Now I'm hoping Power service will write back. I'm interested in hearing > what they have to say. Curious if they will deny the obvious, or if they > admit it, how they will explain why the bottle says what it says. > > Forwarded by Dominique Cormann <kozmik@home.com> > ---------------- Original message follows ---------------- > From: chris <chris@kleenflo.com> > To: kozmik@home.com > Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:20:50 -0500 > Subject: Kleen-Flo Diesel Conditioner > -- > > Dear Dominique, > > Thank-you for your e-mail and your interest in Kleen-Flo products. > Please find below the answers to your questions. > > -There are safe alcohols and not so safe alcohols. Methyl Hydrate is a > widely used alcohol that burns extremely hot and can have adverse > affects on injectors, seals and internal parts. Isopropanol Alcohol is > far safer and is an active ingredient in our two diesel conditioners. > It helps to absorb moisture and lower the pour point of diesel fuel. > Kleen-Flo also adds cleaning agents, lubricators and anti-corrosion > additives. > > -The main differences between our two diesel conditioners is one is > designed for low sulphur diesel fuel and the treatment ratio. The > regular conditioner treats 2270litres and the low sulphur formula treats > 500litres. > > -Low sulphur diesel fuel was introduced in California in the mid 80's. > It was developed to help decrease the amount of emissions from diesel > engines. The only side effect was that it dried out fuel pumps. Hence > the need for low sulphur formula additives and conditioners. In Canada > the availability of low sulphur fuel is different from town to town. > Esso for example sells low sulphur diesel fuel exclusively. > > -Kleen-Flo's new Diesel Lubricant(2L treats 3000L) is designed > specifically to combat the effects of low sulphur diesel fuel. It can > be mixed with our other products and should be used all year round. It > is not as affective as our other products in absorbing water and line > freezing. > > -OEM's are finally acknowledging that there is a problem with low > sulphur fuel and are starting to recommend the use of additives such as > Kleen-Flo's. > > Should you have any other questions or require further technical > information, please feel free to contact me at 1-800-216-7778 ext.238, > or at chris@kleenflo.com. > > Kindest regards, > > Chris Osborne > Marketing Manager