Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jan 2000 21:15:02 -0800
From:         Mike Conlon <zippledippledoo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Hot shower on a Westy Syncro
Comments: cc: Shower Australian <roliver@gil.com.au>

Background: Prior to my wife and I spending the summer of 1999 traveling around Alaska in our 1986 Westy Syncro ("Fritz"), I decided I was going to fit a shower to Fritz one way or another. After becoming bleary eyed on the computer searching for suitable units, I finally decided on "The Original Glind Aussie Car & Boat Shower", which is sold only in Australia (to the best of my knowledge). You can check it out at www.glind.com.au

Cost? The unit sells for $420AUS today (1$US = 1.58$AUS as of 1-28-00) and the Economy Air shipping from Australia cost me $61AUS for the 5.9 kg package. I spent another 50 to 80 bucks or so on various fittings, a stiff garden hose, and some wire.

How well does it work? I am very happy with the performance of the shower and through careful water conservation efforts (save water, shower with a friend!) my wife and I could squeeze about 4 or 5 separate shower sessions out of the stock Westy water tank before needing a refill, although I have configured the shower to also be able to use an external water source, such as a lake or a river.

How does it work? A heat exchanger is installed in the coolant line that runs from the engine compartment to the heater in the front of the van. An electric pump is used to force the water from the Westy's water tank (or a stream outside the van, more on this later) through the heat exchanger and out a shower wand (head), which is installed temporarily on the outside of the van between the sliding door and the passenger door. The engine must be warm to get hot water and the heater lever must be on enough to allow water to be circulating through the heater. In most cases I had the heater on the "high" setting to have the shower comfortably warm. By adjusting the heater lever setting you adust the temperature of the water coming out of the shower wand.

What comes with the unit? You get a self priming Flojet water pump (made in USA), a switch, hoses, shower wand, shower wand mount, a cute bumper sticker that says "this vehicle is equipped with a GLIND HOT SHOWER", a water filter, various electrical connectors (and a relay I believe), fittings, adequate instructions, and most importantly, an Australian made water-to-water heat exchanger. That last item is really what got me to buy this system, because I couldn't easily make one up on my own.

How did I install it? Heat exchanger: The cylindrically shaped heat exchanger is mounted on a flat aluminum plate that I made, which is then mounted with pop rivets to the right side of the right hand beam that protects the Syncro driveshaft. It is about in the middle of the vehicle. It is up out of harms way, but I do plan to ultimately add a bit more coverage to the bottom of that beam so that it covers the unit completely. I tie wrapped the hose that goes to the shower wand (oh yes, I had to buy a hose extension for this at a local hardware store) to the undercarriage and stored it in a small compartment I made with thin aluminum sheet and some pop rivets. Right under the van and beside the forward part of the closed sliding door are two frame members about 12 inches apart, which I enclosed on the bottom with that piece of aluminum sheet. I tuck the hose in there and then secure it with some duct tape; not the most elegant solution, but a most expedient one! Alaska was beckoning! Water pump: The floor to the forward storage bin located under the stored rear table has a false bottom. If you look in there you see there is a "dead space" area that contains some electrical stuff and not much more. The rear "wall" is easily removed, which I did. I mounted the pump there, along with all the required fittings (from a local hardware store) and a brass two way valve. I used "U" shaped clamps to install it all. For the Westy water tank I removed the large fill cap and drilled a hole in it. I placed a bulkhead fitting in the hole and then made a "dip tube" by glueing a common plastic PVC water pipe (cut to length) to a pipe/slip tube fitting I mounted to the the inside of the water tank bulkhead fitting. Common hose goes from there to one of the inlet ports of the two way valve. I drilled a hole through the floor of the van in this area and put a hose through the hole, with the other end going to the other inlet of the two way valve. On the end of this hose is a QD, which allows me to quickly connect up my garden hose/filter/QD arrangement when needed. The outlet end of the two way vale goes to the water pump, which in turn goes to the heat exchanger (another hole in the van!). Power comes from my Optima 750U second battery. I spent a lot of time prior to mounting it in this fashion and I'm very pleased with the results as you don't see anything during use of the van and there is no loss of interior room.

How exactly is it used? The van is warmed up (best done by driving it) with the heater lever in the full hot position. The two position valve, mounted under the false bottom in the storage compartment nearest the stove under the stored rear table, is positioned to either "inside" (on board tank) or "outside" (external water source such as a river). If I'm at a river or lake (rare), I uncoil the hose/QD/filter arrangment and hook up the QD to the van on the underside, (just forward of the rear tire), and then I drop the other end of the hose into the water source such that the end doesn't get plugged up with silt. If I am using the on board tank I need do nothing more than put the lever in the "inside" position. Next I uncoil the hose/shower wand from under the van and attach it to the mount on the side of the van. The van is sitting there, peacefully idling. We get a small pot, soap, fresh clothes and so on and step outside the van, flipping the switch mounted by the door to "on" before we leave and close the sliding door behind us. We strip down and hold the pot under the mounted shower head, and position the small shut-off valve on the wand to the "on" position, while holding the pot so as to catch the water. For the first second the water is cold, as the water between the heat exchanger and the shower wand is expelled. Then the water gets really hot, hot enough to burn you as the stagnet water sitting all this time in the heat exchanger is expelled. Then the water reaches an equilibrium state and we put down the pot and shower up. For most efficient water usage we repeat this performance in two stages, the soap stage and the rinse stage. Water in the pot, being a mixture of hot and cold, is good for washing hair, rinsing feet, or what-have-you. At this point you shut off the valve on the shower wand, shut off the van and flick off the pump switch. I then coil up the hose and store it under the van and put the two position valve back to the "outside" position so that the on board water tank can't leak out the closed valve on the shower wand (it is lower than the tank, so that could happen).

Safety notes? The water that comes out right after the initial shot of cold water is hot enough to burn you, so you really must excersize caution. It is gone in a second or so, but during that time you really don't want it on you! I also worried a bit about the possibility of contaminating the on board water supply with the residual water left in the line between the "outside/inside" selector valve and the shower wand. I even considered putting in a check valve so that wouldn't be possible, but I finally discarded that idea when I couldn't find a suitably sized valve, plus I realized I could simply flush the line out with a bit of on board water afterwards. In any event, this was never a problem for us health-wise. I never like the idea that others have used where they put a coil in the Westy water tank that contains hot engine coolant. If this was to ever leak, well, coolant is a poison and I never wanted to take that risk.

Further thoughts? As yet I haven't built a simple and quickly removable shower curtin on the side of the van to add privacy and to trap a bit more heat in cold conditions. So many projects, so little time...

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to give all the information I could in one shot. If any further details are needed, let me know.