Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:32:30 -0500
From:         Dominique Cormann <kozmik@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Just a wee bit confused.
Comments: To: diesel list <diesel@vwfans.com>,
          Diesel onelist <Audi-VW-Diesels@onelist.com>,
          VW pickup list <vwpickups@listbot.com>,
          "VW-TDI@onelist.com" <VW-TDI@onelist.com>,
          mercedes diesel list <diesel@mbz.org>

Ok I went to my local Coop today in guelph ( its a farm co-op for those not local to this area ). I wanted to find this sonic product that drew on the list was mentioning. Didn't find it but found something else. A new Kleenflo product. Now I know why it was on sale everywhere. They were getting rid of the old version, so that they could make room on the shelf for the new diesel fuel conditioner.

Old product:

* $3.88 * Treats 2000 litres. * Defreezes fuel lines and acts as an antigel * Absorbs water * Cleans gum and varnish

New product:

* $8.78 * Treats 500 litres * Antigel * Lubricity additive * detergents

Ok. This started to get me thinking about alcohols and diesel fuel conditioners. When I read the can of the old product is basically just screamed alcohol.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/bulletin/diesel/L2_7_1_LTOA_fs.htm

I started to read the diesel fuel review on the chevron page again and the section on additives.

De-icers, additives that thaw fuel, and absorb water are based on isopropyl alcohol, methanol, and different glycols. Water in fuel besides being corrosive, and physically increasing wear on injectors, also form gummy jelly crap, sometimes described as varnishs. Not to be confused with deposits for which you need a detergent to get rid of.

The old Kleenflo product sounded just like a can of alcohol. It absorbed water, cleaned varnish ( which is caused by the water ), and thawed fuel, and also acted as a pour point depressant. No wonder its so cheap.

The new product has in BIG letters on the front of the bottle - " This product does NOT contain methyl alcohol ". Made me wonder why they felt they needed to point that out. It also does not thaw fuel anymore. So was that a hint that the old product did? I emailed them with long list of questions on both the new and old product, I'll see what they say.

Did some more searching.

Power service products claim no alcohol either. But Ezoils web page, and Dr diesel ( competitors ) claim that the diesel fuel supplement contains isopropyl alcohol. PS says the product thaws fuel...hmm...now I'm wondering again. So I emailed them, and will see what they say. I pointed out that their competition says it contains alcohol and they say it doesn't. So I asked specifically...does it contain isopropyl alcohol? I'll see what they say.

FPPF products are also the same way. The page says, does not contain alcohol. BUT on the bottle of the product it says it " contains ethyl glycol a great pour point depressant". Duh. Guess they don't know what alcohol means.

Ok...what I'm really actually confused about. I was taught that alcohol was bad. But now the more I read, the issue is getting very cloudy. Everything I read says methanol is bad ( effective but harmful ), special seals must be used with methanol. Perhaps in low quantities its acceptable, but better options are availible. Isopropyl alcohol from what I read, is a better option ( less harmful in both gas and diesel applications ), and seems popular, its hidden in a few products - its in them, but the companies literture says no alcohol. Glycols I read are the least harmful, and also exist in a few products ( like FPPF and others ), but again the companies try to hide that they use them.

I'm wondering if the use of alcohols is okay in small amounts, just like in gas cars a 2% addition is acceptable - gas line antifreezes use methanol or isopropyl alcohol, and we have the enviro gases that contain ethanol. These products in gas cars are okay to use....but pure methanol would require some modifications.

I'm wondering if in diesels its the same. Small amounts are safe and provide benefits, and high amounts are damaging over time. My theory then is that additive companies are aware that the uneducated consumer might get worries since they were taught that alcohols are bad, and so they hide the use of them in their products - only brad about the benefits of the de-icing properties.

What do you guys know about this stuff?

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann Email: kozmik@home.com Homepage: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca Diesel page: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject 84 Rabbit D - daily driver 84 Rabbit GTD - work'in on it