Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:39:29 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      In defense of Dealers, was: Dealer ripoffs

There are lots of different ways to maintain your van, and your sanity. I have written long missives on this subject, and don't want to have you doze-off, and bonk your head on your monitor, so I'l refrain from the BIG Bulley pulpit thing.

Suffice to say, I am not Mr. Moneybags. I think our household income is a smidge about the national average (of USA, not Brunei). I offer that as a reference point so that when I say "I don't mind dealer prices" you don't say "Oh, he's made of $$$".

I don't mind dealer prices for three reasons.

#1) I don't like working on my cars. I used to. I have better things to do now. I like my cars to be in top shape, but I'd rather pay some competent young soul to spin the wrenches. I'd rather be with Sue, or at the beach, or with my family. I love my car, but on my deathbed, I won't yearn to have all the hours back I spent with my van.

#2) There is a very old, and proven rule of wealth building: If you want to earn a certain dollar amount, never do any task that is worth less than that dollar figure in hours. E.g. If you want to earn $50k, never do any task that pays (wages) less than $24.04 per hour (that's 50k/52 weeks/40 hours). Sure, the dealer charges $65, but the wrenchman ain't making $24/hour. My income goal is higher, and clearly makes it better for me to be at work, rather than under my car.

#3) Recourse. On three separate occasions, the dealer has FAR exceeded my expectations of just recompense when there was a goof on their part. The dealer is often far more competent than I, and if they aren't they offer a sturdy work warrantee. I trust them.

Besides, if you chortle with the service guys a bit, they'll often lop 10% or 20% off large orders just for your dedication in using VW service. Just wrote a $650 check to VW Springfield (VA) for struts/shocks/etc. on our 85 Jetta. Glad I did. Dropped off at 10:00 a.m., picked up at 4:00. That's my idea of auto maintenance.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka