Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:25:51 EST
From:         John Wessels <EUROMOG@AOL.COM>
Subject:      New Lister

Hello List,

I just signed up after purchasing an '87 Syncro. I am a second generation VW owner and mechanic. My Father started driving VW's in '55 and opened up his repair shop in '63. I started my apprentice program while still sitting in a high chair. I am an ASE master technician and have over 20 years of VW experiance. I worked at VW of Santa Cruz back in '87 and '88. I opened my own shop in Merced in '90 and moved here to Livermore a year ago. I don't work on VW's much anymore but specialize in BMW, Mercedes and Porsche.

I have owned a couple of Mercedes Unimogs and have developed a few new products for them which I sell. I have been over the Rubicon a few times and down to Baja three times. I have also successfully negotiated the Sledgehammer trail down in the Mojave desert.

I want to make a few major changes to my Syncro. I have searched the archives but not much info came up. It is obvious that the rear springs have sagged. What is the latest for taller replacements? I caught a note that front springs had been made. Were these taller or just stiffer? Also through what vender can the OME shocks be purchased?

I am pretty excited about blazing a new trail with mods for the Syncro but I will sit back and listen for a while and see what you have come up with so far. Is anyone importing or tried to retrofit the 16" Syncro parts to our domestic lowriders?

Thanks

John Wessels European Motorsport Livermore, CA http://www.euromog.com

'87 Syncro - a little surface rust but it's all there '96 Disco - Been great but up for sale '86 Golf Diesel - can't get worse than 40mpg '97 Banshee - way too much fun '69 Bug - show and race winner '99 Ram 4X4 TDI - New tow rig