Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:31:44 -0500
From:         Zoran Mladen <Zoran_Mladen@AMSINC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clicking sounds

I experienced something like this once before on an automatic bug. Although it is difficult to diagnose without having the car in front of me, there are a couple of things that come to mind:

1) sticking lifter - possible 2) torque converter or drive plate - Its possible that the drive plate has come loose. I can't remember what the drive plate looks like on the vanagon, in a bug, the plate is held to the hub that bolts into the crankshaft by six or eight large rivets. In this bug, the rivets actually loosened slightly, so that when under a load, the plate would shift back and forth on the hub. Replaced the drive plate and no more noise. Check the bolts first...

John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@EMAIL.MSN.COM> on 02/02/2000 11:32:00 PM

Please respond to John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Zoran Mladen/AMS/AMSINC) Subject: Clicking sounds

The engine in my '84 Vanagon has picked up a clicking sound. Sometimes it sounds like valve noise, and other times it sounds like an exhaust leak. I had the oil changed today (Castrol 20W-50) and a new Mann oil filter. I also asked my mechanic to check the exhaust system for leaks as I had problems with one of the exhaust manifold gaskets leaking. When I picked the van up this evening, the shop manager reported that everything was okay. Where do I look next? Clicking noise is louder when engine is under load. For example, shifting from park to reverse with the brakes on, made the noise louder.

John Lauterbach Macon, GA '84 DL