Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:52:06 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <m.radtke@ELM.AZ05.BULL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Using wire ties on CV joint boots?
Comments: cc: John-Reed Maffeo <rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM>

Hello John-Reed and everyone,

I can't tell whether you mean ties made of wire, or plastic ties made to hold wires.

I have used wire. I use a single conductor of the telephone wire. It's pretty thin stuff ... perhaps 26 gauge. I leave the insulation on. I wrap it about 3 or 4 turns so it just fits the notch in the boot that's made for the band. I then twist the ends tight and snip off the extra.

I chose thin wire with multiple turns so I would not have to cinch it up too tightly since the each turn multiplies the force, and so there wouldn't be a small gap in pressure where the wire is twisted.

I too thought of plastic wire ties, but I talked myself out of it mostly because of the small gap just where the clamp is. I figured that might cause a leak. I think that the plastic ties would last OK too. They degrade badly in sunlight, but they shouldn't get too much of that under a Vanagon.

Now that several people have recommended the plastic ties, I think I'll try them next time. However, the wire as I described above works just fine.

Thanks, Mike '84 GL '60 Vespa '58 Isetta --- Phoenix, Arizona