Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:36:13 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar Shower &Water Storage Tank for Luggage Bin
Comments: To: Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>

Tony:

I think it was my post that gave you the idea, but mine is a smaller size (the largest one that is hangable) I started using it last year and took it on a 3,500 mile 15 day trip. It works very well, but it is HEAVY when full. (I can't imagine how heavy THAT one will be!)

Normally, when you are in the back country, filling it means lugging it to a water source and then hauling it back and flopping it onto the roof of the luggage rack; this is tricky, believe me. It holds enough water for a couple of downright decadently long showers, but beware, the on/off is accomplished by pulling/pushing the nozzle into itself. This is almost impossible if you have soap on your hands. (oops - guess the engineers didn't think of that one, eh?)

Also, the hose on mine is not long enough to use it while it is on top of the car, so you really have to string it up in a tree or something like that. This can be tricky, since the sucker is so HEAVY - you need a pretty stout tree to hang it from. This one looks like the hose would be longer, but with the same nozzle arrangement. Rigging up some PVC pipe sections to hold the shower head out away from the van would be a good idea, since you don't really want to be hugging your passenger side mirror while trying to shower (I wonder if Dr. Bronner's is also good for washing Vanagons?). This is what I am hoping to do eventually, though I haven't come up with a good way of rigging it securely to the side of the luggage rack while making it easy to set up/knock down.

All in all, I really like the way it works. Beats the heck out of jumping into a frigid stream to get wet, then trying to soap and rinse 500' away with a little tin pan with warm water in it... :-)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Tony Peet [mailto:tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2000 1:16 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Solar Shower &Water Storage Tank for Luggage Bin

Hi All:

I think I've finally found how I want to use my rooftop luggage bin on my Westy. I've been wanting to figure out a way to create a cheap shower option, and one of the list members recommended the "Basic Designs SunShower and Water Storage Tank" -- which holds 8-10 gallons, measures approximately 21'x30" (just about perfect for a snug fit in the bin), and has 4 grommets that look like they'll work great for secure tie-down. From the picture, it even looks like I can stow it such that the water fill hole is on the drivers side -- same as the other intakes -- and the shower hose is on the passenger side.

I think I know that a gallon of water weighs around 10 pounds -- so the load could be around 80 pounds -- well below the recommended 100 pound limit for the bin.

Has anyone else had any experience with this product? Does anyone have any strong recommendations for a similar product?

It costs $24.99 from www.campmor.com. GO to the homepage and type '22320' (without quotes --its the product number) in to the search bar. Or , you can click on:

You can view it by clicking on:

http://www.campmor.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr =13512

Tony '91 Syncro Westy ('teepee') Pacific Grove, CA