Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:55:32 -0500
From:         Zoran Mladen <Zoran_Mladen@AMSINC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Consumption question
Comments: cc: Riley Kettner <rileyk@HOME.COM>

The vanagon has this cute little hose that runs over the gas tank and provides ventilation. It is held onto the frame by a little hook, and then snaps into the tank on the top of both sides through a rubber grommet. It is VERY common for the plastic T-fitting that goes into the tank to crack. The result is that when you fill the tank, excess gas flows out. This may be your problem. You can sneak a peek at these by lifting the front end and removing each tire, then look through the opening creating by removing the tire, at the top of the tank.

If these need replacement, you're in for a good time, as they are difficult to reach, especially on the driver side where there are extra obstacles, I think from the A/C (hoses or something).

Not a difficult job, just have patience. Small hands are a big plus. And also, when you're down there, replace the grommets, as this will make it much easier to press the new T-fittings into them.

And BTW, you can't buy just the T-fittings, you have to buy the entire hose running across the tank. Reason being that this hose is just like the brake booster hose in the engine compartment, and it is shrink-sealed onto the T-fittings.

Good luck!

Riley Kettner <rileyk@HOME.COM> on 02/03/2000 07:57:16 PM

Please respond to Riley Kettner <rileyk@HOME.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Zoran Mladen/AMS/AMSINC) Subject:

I asked eariler about fuel consumption. I am getting 19.8 litres per 100km.

First, I was told by my dad's truck mechanic to fill up the tank. He then told me to see if anything was leaking, just to make sure.(I did not want to pay for an emmissions test yet) Well bad news.(I hope not) Before I bent down to look I could smell gas. First thought, did i fill the tank too much? Second, how much is this gonna cost? Third, could it be leaking from the top of the tank so that I could possibly fill the tank halfway up?

Now i am asking anyone if there is an overfill protection. that would let gas runoff? Would there be any other problems? perhaps a hose is loose.

Thanks,

Riley kettner

att1.htm [text/html]