Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:23:25 -0800
From:         "Robert S. Williams, MD (laptop)" <rwill@CENTURYINTER.NET>
Subject:      Axle Rebuild Notes

[ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ] [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set. ] [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

I just got done rebuilding my right rear axle on my 1982 Aircooled Westie. I encountered some problems along the way and I thought I would share the solutions I have:

Problem: Can't remove axle nut. Solution: Get one of those wrenches designed specifically for the task (available fromBus Depot). It is cheap and it works. also invest in a good 5 Lb. sledge hammer (short handled) to smack the wrench with. Really, it makes a big difference; get a bigger hammer! I also bought a 46mm 3/4" drive socket... I didn't use it to get the axle nut off: but it came in handy later.

Problem: Can't get the old bearings out of the housing. Solution: these are press-fit and are really tight. I wound up doing a destructive removal and replacing with new bearings. I used a big screwdriver to knock out the old bearings, but a chisel would have worked as well. The book says to use a brass drift, but I couldn't find one and I had new bearings to replace the old ones. Upon Inspection of the remains, the races were scorched and discolored... so they would have to be replaced anyway.

Problem: Can't get the new outer roller bearing to go into the housing. Solution: Here is where the BIG hammer and the 46mm Socket comes in handy. Use the 46mm socket as a tubular driver and drive it in using the BIG hammer.The diameter of the 46mm socket is JUST RIGHT to rest on the outer race and safely drive the bearing into it's place in the housing. Your milage may vary, but it worked well for me. The inner ball bearing seems to fit the 46mm Socket too.... so I guess I didn't waste money buying the socket from Just Kampers and if I had a decent 3/4" drive breaker bar, I might have been able to use it to remove the axle nut too. I used sections of 4X4 to rest the housing on whilst I was womping on the bearings to keep from ruining the housing.

All in all, I am quite proud of the work I have done. I cleaned , derusted,and repainted all reused parts with BBQ Grill paint. Everything is working smoothly and all parts are preserved from erosive decay. I doubt I could have hired a mechanic to do all the hand finishing and repainting. I also cleaned and repainted the backing plate for the brake on that side... it was slowly rusting into oblivion before the axle rebuild. As soon as the weather permits, I will remount all the parts and install new brake shoes. Until then,I will leave the vehicle up on jackstands.

Although, along the way, I was tempted to resort to high tech solutions and outside resources..I resisted and solved the problem using nothing but hand tools and my own muscle power.(and a little advice from the List members )..sure, I could have run down to the local brake shop and had THEM remove the axle nuts with a pneumatic impact wrench. Or could have had THEM drive the new bearings in with a hydraulic press... but where is the challenge in THAT?? Now, if the axle ever fails, I have the knowledge and resources to fix it myself even along the roadside. That brings with it a great feeling of security in this vehicle.

Thanks for your help along the way.

Robert '82 aircooled Westie