Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:57:58 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      vouching for Bob, and a theory, was: 6 mils of lash...
Comments: To: Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>

My 1982 2.0 hydraulic lifters required three adjustments (and subsequent compression tests) to sit right. I think it is because our lifters lay on their side, and when the motor is off, they are partly above the oil sump (in my type II).

Who knows...there are stranger things in the world.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: Bob Donalds [SMTP:bostneng@FCL-US.NET] Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 5:02 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 6 mils of lash...

John wrote: > > Bob Donalds wrote: > > > > John wrote: > > > > > > Hi David, > > > > > > I've seen all the industry general guide lines about storing > > > un-installed lifters in certain positions and pre-filling lifters by > > > pumping them in warm oil baths but I can't buy any of it. > > > > > > > > > John and the list > > If you think for a moment that the VOA factory follows bentley to the > > letter > > then I have a bridge for sale I would like to talk to you about > > Hi Bob, > > I've been away so I'm just responding to your reply. You should know > that I'm a supporter of Boston Engine and I hate VWoA. If you could > strap those creeps into Ol' Sparky, I'd love to throw the switch. > However there is nothing new in 40 years in the function of hydraulic > lifters and VW is a competent engine designer. As I wrote previously, I > torched my exchange motor and and it went from trashing machine volume > to a quiet, smooth running motor while I drained a 6 pack. That's the > nature of hydraulic lifters. > > When the lifter contains COMPRESSIBLE air there is lash and a "door" > opens and pressurized engine oil despells and takes the place of the > air. When the lifter is full of NON-COMPRESSIBLE oil there is zero lash > and the "door" doesn't open and the self-adjustment ceases at the > engineered nominal clearance. Aside from the basic set up installation > adjustment, subsequent mechanical adjustments make no sense. > > Trying to adust a hydraulic lifter is a little like trying to adjust the > Digifant idle speed. Mechanically you can cause a change but the system > design will simply counter your effect. Vanagon owners who are "green" > to the the hydraulic lifter valve train should stay away from trying to > adjust an automatic system. If hydraulic lifters need adjustment they > were never set up correctly in the beginning. > > Bacj to you Bob, JP John thats sounds good but the fact is that I have adjusted and prelubed lifters for years and my experiance and the experiance of some members of the list does not support your theory the hydraulic lifters in the van engines does sometimes not bleed the air out on its own if its preloaded before its run I have had to back the lifters off of to many vans to get the engine to idle and bring the compression up would anybody else like to speak about there lifters not doing what the theory says they should John I hope you dont mind I forwarded this to the list Bob Donalds