Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Feb 2000 23:22:13 -0500
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dead 'O Winter Campout going well - long

Just got back from visiting the campout at Cloudland Canyon, Georgia. The Westy had to stay home. Supposedly it is sold to one of our brethren from the West Coast. He injured himself inroute to pick it up. Poor dude. I don't feel right driving it around and camping, and you know, while it is waiting to be sold. Sooo, long story . .

But my wife and I drove over in (forgive us) an all original 1986 BMW 524td, working diesel engine with glow plugs, fully operational turbo charger, the whole nine yards. I just had to be different, you know how it goes.

So here we come rumbling/clattering into the campsite area. We rolled up thinking there would be about 5 vans there. I spied a Eurovan. Hmmm. There's another Vanagon. But that's all I see! "Honey, no one came! I just can't believe this! I feel so sorry for the people who organized it!" We keep driving. Joy said, "Look, there's more. There's a whole bunch of them! Look, Busses!"

Surprise! The place was loaded down with loafs. Loafs and more loafs. Everywhere we looked, there were loafs. And there were vans too. Poptops galore. All raised in a formation salute. A cool side poptop, and those funny center pop jobs that only loafs have. Loaf pickups, loaf splittys, loaf 21 window. It was loaf heaven.

Suddenly, I found myself wanting a loaf. I thought to myself, "you know, I may just defect and get a loaf." I have always imagined myself driving along in a loaf, looking cool, wearing sunglasses, and with a cool one nearby. Then I guess I went into some sort of trance because I could have sworn I saw my wife look over at our old 524 and then say, "I am so tired of hearing that noisy diesel. That car is soooo uncool. And it stinks too. And it smokes. Why don't we get one of those old busses with all the windows?" Then I snapped out of it, and said, in typical fashion, "yes dear." I still don't know if that was for real.

Back to the campout -- (sorry for the digression) There was a wonderful fire going. A very hot fire. That was good because being the dumbass that I am, I didn't bother to bring a jacket. Met a nice couple from LaFayette, Georgia, nearby, who kindly threw a blanket over me. Thank you, Stewart! Thoroughly enjoyed visiting with interesting people from Tuscaloosa to Knoxville, and from our own native state of Georgia. There was all kinds of cooking going on. We were invited to partake of taco's, hotdogs, and whatever. I tried to pay Dave, of Peach State Transporters but he wouldn't have it. Thank you, Dave. It was getting really cold by 7:00. Supposed to go down to 19° tonight. (thanks for the ALT 248 tip, Benjamin, just came in handy : )

Cloudland was very very very quiet, and very remote. Campsites were pretty few and far between. A couple of vans and busses pulled in around 5:30 to 6, and there were no campsites available. Ranger said, "No doubling up." Bummer for the guy with splitty. A girl drove up in a nice looking blue Westy, estimated 91 model. Huge bike rack, but no bikes to be found. Don't know if she had a campspot available either. That "no doubling up" will get you every time. Makes a man real mad. I would have just told that Ranger, "Look buddy, we pay your salary." Then I would have snarled a real mean snarl. That seems to work like magic. Especially if you want to get thrown out of a park real quick. The Rangers were there in force too. 4 trucks were casually parked at the visitors center, ready for action. I was relieved I actually paid the $2.00 parking fee for once.

Well, our baby sitter couldn't/wouldn't wait forever, so we had to split the scene. We said good byes and gave a last look back. Everyone was hovering around the fire, or near the cooking burners. Everyone was having a great time. We look forward to going on a campout soon, and actually camping out.

Oh, and don't worry, we will be getting another van soon I hope. But it could be rounded on the top.

: )

HK