Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:04:42 +1100
From:         Ray Hunnam <hunnam@PNC.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: OME shock evaluation
Comments: To: Mark McCulley <transporter99@HOTMAIL.COM>

To David, Mark and all others interested in the OME Shocks.

About 12 months ago other list member expressed interest in the OME Shocks. and purchased some from a supplierer in the US. He came across the exact same circumstances, one pair were branded Monroe.

As a favour I contacted the Manufactures of OME here in Australia and spoke two sales assistants. The first one was a bit out in left field and didn't help mutch at all. The second one was a VW buff and took the trouble to explain. To the best of my recollection here is what he said.

* OME do not produce a specific shock for the VW. They mainly produce and target in their marketing, the Nissan, Toyota, Land Rover and other popular 4wd marketed in Australia. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT THEIR SHOCKS DO NOT FIT VW'S. They just havn't researched that part of the market to see which model actually fits the VW.

* I spoke to him regarding the Munro connection and he informed me that both companies are NOT associated. HOWEVER he explained that seeing their shocks were supplied by their agent in the US he may have done his own research into which of the OME shocks fitted the VW. He further suggested that seeing either the front or rear could not be matched to their range then they may have supplied a Munroe instead.

* I obtained a copy of their catalogue and forwarded it to the list member. It contained some neat off road accessories and yes their products are built tough for the Austrlaian Outback conditions. If they still have it maybe someone could scan it and post.

On behalf of the list members interested I asked if they would be interested in suppling direct to them in the US. Fortunately or Unfortunately, part of the Aussie ethic of " fair go or play " means that they will not cut the throat of their agent and sell behind his back so to speak. He informed me that seeing they had an acreddited agent in the ( Seattle area I think ) US., then all exports to the US should go through that agency.

I have not mentioned the names of the other list members concerned as I feel they may wish to tell their own side of the story and recount the facts as they see them. Just jump in here anytime fellows. But that is the story as best as I recall. Unfortunately seeing it some time ago I have deleted the original messages.

If anyone wants, I had obtained OME's web site and email address here is OZ. I will chase them up again,m should anyone wish.

Finally I do not wish to ( and I love this saying of yours ) Rain on anyone's parade, but thems da facts, or as they were 12 months ago.

Ray Hunnam Penrith Australia

PS To the original list members mentioned above I have just finished night work again and the brain dead is setting in again. ( Private Joke ) And do not ! repeat not! post me that sweet prince line again.

-----Original Message----- From: Mark McCulley <transporter99@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, 7 February 2000 4:50 Subject: OME shock evaluation