Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2000 02:07:11 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      SA Sliding side windows/was: Screensaver

In a message dated 00-02-07 01:53:03 EST, Oxroad writes:

> In a message dated 00-02-06 21:43:13 EST, you write: > > > While in South Africa, I notice the Vanagons, or Transporters, or > > Kombis or whatever they're called there have the sliding windows in the > back > > windows too. ... > >Can you purchase the sliding windows w/frame for the back windows here > > in the States and if so, where?

Harold-- The windows won't work in US Vanagons because South African Vanagons are Right Hand Drive and therefore when looking out the US driver's side, or left side, occupants of the vehicle would see what would actually be on the passenger side in a South African Bus.

Did I have you going for a second? Truth is the current South African Vanagons (Microbus or Caravelle and maybe they've added a new model this year) have a larger side window than the American Vanagons so SA sliding side windows into a US Vanagon would not be a "simple" addition. The side windows of the SA bus are higher, or more correctly have a greater top to bottom measurement than those in the US. They actually are cut to allow a lower sill while at least roughly the same distance from the roof on American buses.

If you visit the SA VW site you can see the two side windows behind the doors dip lower into the body than the windows that are in the door. In the US the Buses have a even or at least very close to even measurement from top to bottom as do the door windows.

Having said all that, I don't have first hand experience with the SA buses. I'm going on what James Cohen told me after his trip to SA last year. But photos in a SA brochure I have seem to "confirm" the larger windows.

BUT here's a question that jsut popped into my head: Do older SA Vanagons ( say like the early 80s) have the same size windows as US buses, yet still have sliding rear windows?

Like you, I thought the windows would be a cool addition. (pun at no extra cost to the consumer)

Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC

[message/rfc822]