Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:24:17 -0500
From:         Todd Kaderabek <todd@LARKBOOKS.COM>
Subject:      still looking

Thanks for the posts over the weekend, discouraging or otherwise. Here's what has happened since Friday.

I bumped into a guy Saturday morning who is selling his '87 Westfalia. I drove/inspected it, and here's the scoop:

The good: strong engine, sweating very little oil smooth auto tranny near perfect interior stove/refrig./sink work, and are spotless everything is there except for one table (the one behind the driver's seat) Tires in good shape it's located 5 minutes from my house decent paint

The bad: brakes in very poor condition -- he reports that he replaced the front pads, and bled the lines, but to get any stopping power from them, you must pump them several times. Maybe he need new brakes, maybe he screwed up the bleed job. one tiny rip in the top, unfortunately in the top front corner, where it all ties together front blower fan out (checked fuse, fine) power mirrors don't function -- fuse fine one arm rest broken off rust in the usual places (ex-Chicago bus), pretty bad in the door sills, some underbody but not much on the frame, some on side panels body damage to sliding door and underneath -- door functions, and van rolls straight, so I don't suspect a bent frame rear bumper damage, looks like a back into , not a rear-end radio not working, needs code (battery replaced) 187,000 on the clock

He's asking $6,800, and has a KBB printout in the window listing retail value at $9,550. Interestingly enough, add the KBB retail value and the KBB trade in value, divide by two and get exactly $6,800.

Fair value? Walking into a disaster? I'm planning to take it to my shop for an inspection this week, and I think he'd take closer to $6,000.

Any advice/thoughts will be most appreciated.

TJK

-- Todd J. Kaderabek, Director of Production Lark Books, Fiberarts Magazine, Folkwear Patterns 50 College Street Asheville, NC 28801 Phone: (828) 253-0467, X 331 Fax: (828) 253-7952 todd@larkbooks.com