Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2000 07:57:32 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine oil change interval (VW content...)
Comments: To: Richard Bias <rbias@HOTMAIL.COM>

Richard,

Of course changing your oil more frequently will do no harm, just don't use an all synthetic oil until you have gone 5000 miles to allow the rings to bed in properly.

VW has a reason for saying this, and it is their 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and free oil changes that go along with it for the first two years, when most defects will appear. If you or someone else uses an incorrect oil or filter it could cause problems, and unless VW can detect this "abuse" it will have to honor the warranty. I think Ken's suggestion is the best--stick with Mann filters for in between changes and use the same oil that the dealer does, and everyone will be happy. Just don't tell the dealer you have done this if you have a warranty claim on the engine!

5000 mile interval is fine for "normal" driving (no frequent short trips or sustained hot weather driving in dusty areas, etc.) and conserves resources and money.

Richard Bias wrote: > > Good morning All, > I see on the list that there are some people like me who have purchased a > new VW recently. I have a 1998 Beetle. I have always changed oil in new > cars at 1K, then 3K and then every 3K interval after that. I talked to the > service manager at the dealer when I bought my car and told him that I was > thinking about changing my oil in the new Bug at 1K then at 3K and then let > them do the free oil change at 5K and so on (The recommended oil change > interval on the new 2L gas VW engines is at 5K, 10K and then every 10K after > that). He said to me when I told him what I planned to do, an emphatic "NO. > It will void your warranty. These engines were designed to go 10K between > oil changes." Is any one else out there worried about this? Thanks. > Rich and Annemarie > 85 GL "Buba" > 98 Bug > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext. 8208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://cobaltgroup.com http://UsedEquipNet.com