Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:06:54 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      my Agilis experience

Early in January I bought 4 Michelin Agilis tires (Agilis 61 TL, 185 14 80 load index 99/97 at 54psi) ), for my '82 westy, replacing the Yokohama 370s (195 75 load range D) that i have been using for the last three years and 40,000 miles.

The Yoko's had performed well and still had about 4mm of tread depth.

The Michelins look good and tough. They have a raised protective "rand" on the side walls, somnething you see more often in europe than in north america. The tire has a square look, the transition from sidewall to tread is closer to a right angle than the yokos. The tread depth is deeper than I remember the yokos having when new. The tread pattern is different than the yokos, not as open a block pattern.

This gave me pause as to how good they would be in mud/snow, the guys at the tire shop initially thought that they were not rated M&S because of the tread pattern but they are stamped M&S. Others on the list have vouched for their ability (limited?) in the snow.

They were inflated to 50 psi all round, I was planning to adjust that pressure downward on the fronts at least, but haven't yet.

Initial impressions:

noticeably easier turning effort on the steering wheel. Probably due to the high press and the narrower width (the yokos were 195s)

Note much difference in shock absorbtion, maybe a bit smoother.

Quiet on the hwy.

Good in the wet. A very wet winter this year, lots of water on the hwy, no aquaplaning. The yokos were very good in this respect too.

Better traction in the mud.

Snow? well We haven't had any to speak of in Victoria this year. Texas has had more! What's up with that?

I like these tires, they look tough, well made, and they ride well.

Alistair