Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2000 14:37:36 EST
From:         Kevin Dawson <Calwolfie@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Converting to Subaru: Chapter 1

Hi All, After lurking about for these past few months I think I owe it to you all to share my Vanagon Project. Kinda longish but here goes. First, the history. My first car, which I still own, is a 74 Triumph TR-6. It is a great car but being the British hunk o' iron it is, I was forced to learn advanced automotive mechanics. My second car was a green 76' Westy. It had been my parents and between us all, had given us over a 180K miles of adventures and memories. I don't want to go into why I sold it, that was a sad day, but I've always wanted to replace it with a Vanagon/Westy. After some research and thinking about it, I decided further that it was the 1/2 camper/Muti-van setup that would suit my family's need best for everyday use. That narrowed the search down to four possible years, 86,' 87' 90' and 91.' Further more, I decided to find one with a blown engine as the prices being asked for Westys is, as we on the list know, is unusually high. This past summer, after looking for a year, I purchased a white 87' Westy/Wofie 1/2 camper from a second owner for $3k. It had no rust, couple of scrapes, steel rims, needing a good cleaning in side and making a clacking sound from the engine (not lifters). Five days later, while looking for alloy rims, I was able to buy a running 88' Wolfie for $1K. From this car I've been transferring deluxe upgrades to the 87,' i.e. alloys, etc.. I'll put the 88' back together and sell it for at least what I have in it or more. I subscribed to the Vanagon list :) Ordered a bunch of brake, shock, and weather stripping stuff from Bus Depot (want to start off with freach stuff where its' important). Mounted some new Michelin MXT's on the alloy rims. But what about the engine? I went back through the Vanagon achieves and read everything I could find concerning rebuilding the stock engine or swapping it out. My cheapest option would have been to take the engine out of the 88' but its history is unknown and I do want to sell the car as a runner. I could have rebuilt it myself, I have done several Triumph and VW engines, but the more I looked at how the engine was designed the less faith I had in it. There are too many factors that could lead to down time and failure. There was the Audi 5-cyl. at $5-6k that everyone raved about for a while but it seemed that hardly anyone did this conversion and is now a moot idea. There was the Eurospec program but again is a dead program (plus they didn't sell it to home mechanics). There is FastForward VW's conversion kits. I like David, he's my kind of guy, I think he's honest and a true Vanagon enthusiast. His prices are reasonable and he seems to helpful. But I live in California and what ever I do has to pass our Smog program. It is quite possible that I could work through the smog issues with the CIS/ K jetronic and be legal. I even have my own Bar 90 4 gas tailpipe anaylsier at home to do pretesting before going off to have the state test run. But there are two other options to consider. Tii trading in Sacramento is selling a kit from South Africa for $4k that includes a 2.0l motronically controlled "golf" engine. It looks and sounds like the answer to a Vanagon owners problems. But guess what.... It won't pass California smog inspection. I really tried to research this kit hard to see if the smog issues could be resolved. I contacted Tii, the State Air Resource Board, Robert Bosch, VW of South Africa, and even attempted to contact the maker of the kit in SA (it is not made by VW). For many different reasons this is a dead end for me. But for those of you who don't have to comply with Calif. style smog program this kit may be for you. That brings us to the Kennedy/Subaru converstion. I was not real warm to this program the first few times I looked at it. It was not a VW. It looked like it was a real grut to bring it all together. But I did go to the Library and checked out a manual on the Subaru. The specs. and design of the engine looked impressive. Kennedy says a whole engine should cost $1300 from a wreaking yard. I don't like dealing with wreaking yards. Could a low mileage engine really be found complete at that price? I came up with another solution. There is a nation company that auctions off salvaged cars for insurance companies and one of their auction yards is only 5 miles from my house. They have a web site where you can search by make, model, and year and they will list what they have, where it is, the mileage and when it is to be auctioned. This past week I bought a 94' Subaru Legacy w/ 38k miles for $930 (my winning bid was $700 but tax, towing, and auction fees pushed it up). The car had been rolled but the engine/drivetrain is perfect! It has taken me one long day to pull the engine and the wiring harness. After I sell off the rest of the car (one of the other bidders has expressed an interest in buying the remains) and buy the stuff I need from Kennedy, I think the total cost of the convertion will be $1500-1600. Selling off the old Vanagon engine should bring down the cost even further. That is the story thus far and if there is an interest I will post a chapter 2 later down the road. I've already started look into solving the issue of the low oil pan. There are many ways up the mountain but it is up to each of us to pick the one that is right for ourselves.

Cheers, Kevin Dawson A man with a full driveway, and thankfully, tolerant neighbors and family. 74' TR-6 69' TR-6 87' Wofie Camper 88' Wofie 89' Honda Accord 89' Trooper II 94' Subaru legacy