Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:15:40 EST
From:         Keith Olsen <VintagePkr@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Coolant Pipe separates!!Gaskets Blow!!Wallet empties!!
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@aol.com

Hi all, Has anyone else had the experience of their coolant pipe step down insert actually separating from the pipe leaving the radiator hose clamped to the insert? Well, I have! While cruising up I-95 in CT in our 87 Wolfsburg GL all of a sudden the temp light came on and the guage shot upwards. As quickly (and safely) as I could, I made it into the breakdown lane and turned off the van. Upon looking underneath I found that the insert was clamped to the radiator intake hose just hanging there and my lovely orange phosphate free coolant had been pumped onto the highway. (luckily it was phosphate free) Well, my heads and gaskets were in kind of a fragile state anyway and the accompanying overheat that went along with this pipe separation pushed them over the edge. I was able to hose clamp the pieces back together enough to refill the system with what extra coolant I carry and a few trips to a local spighot (and a roadside rad bleed) It ran quite well and got me and the family home safely and coolly. 30ish miles. However, the next morning was quite a different story. Upon startup it filled my driveway with mucho white smoke and gave me two nice puddles under each head gasket. HEAD TIME! I've been lurking on this list long enough to know that this was my turn to attack the dreaded Waterboxer head. I am now gathering parts to do the full job and all the other little things I've been putting off. But I am concerned about this hose to pipe union issue. I've never heard of this coming apart before. I am going to try and find another one that is factory connected but I was wondering.....should this be supplemented with a hose clamp to keep this from happening again? Was there a clamp there to begin with? If one can't be found reasonably, will sealant and a clamp be sufficient to rejoin the old one? Is it unadvisable to clamp the plastic at all? Am I paranoid? Is this a once bitten twice shy kind of thing? Any suggestions appreciated. TIA Keith Olsen 87 Wolfsburg GL 82 Vanagon L diesel 79 Loaf 85 Golf Diesel