Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Feb 2000 21:33:39 EST
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      So you want to go to a 094 five speed...

If you are wanting to switch the four to a five speed I would recommend going with the New South African five speeds with the .457 ring and pinion. They cost a little more but are worth the money (IMHO).

While the gearing is similar than the .483 or the .543 diesel. the use of the .457 ring and pinion makes a world of difference.

The fifth gear is like a true overdrive, it cuts the RPMs by @800 RPMs. Fourth gear can go from @20~25 to @70, fifth goes from ~35-40 to 80+.

The gear pattern is better matched to the power curve of the Wasserboxer engine or any of the other types of moderately HP engine (under or @ 150 HP, any more and the tranny will need to be beefed up to keep from breaking trannys$$$)

The oil fill hole has been relocated to in front of the shift rod mount. Made changing the oil REAL EASY and I mean easy no more contortions to get the oil in the case...

There is NO modification necessary to the shift mechanism except that the front mount needs to be shortened @1.5 inches (Weddle would know EXACT amount) the rest bolt up (It did on my 88)

Some winter benefits discovered during my drive in the snow and ice: Having the reverse and first on the same plane, shifter pressed, enabled me to shift between first and reverse rapidly getting me unstuck several times.

I am used to having to press down the shifter to go into first, shifting into second has become second nature. Once in a while I will miss second, but that is getting rare now, other gears shift fine.

I am running 205x70x14" tires, so if your tires are smaller the engine will rev a little higher...

The SA tranny (as compared to the used or older rebuilt five speeds) has the hub that was redesigned to handle the extra weight, plus they include the HD parts VW added.

Ratios are similar to the five speed diesel except that the R&P is .457 not .543.

1st 4.111 2nd 2.333 3rd 1.476 4th 1.023 5th 0.816 some diesels had a .77 fifth gear Revers 3.667 Transaxle 4.571

Robert

Standard disclaimer: "I have no claim in the business other than a satisfied customer"

(Weddle rebuilds the New SA trannys because they honor the two year warranty and to make sure all is right inside the tranny before you get it.)

Weddle can be reached:

Weddle Engineering Billing: Weddle Engineering P.O. BOX 1075 Goleta, CA 93116 Shipping: Weddle Engineering 700 Becknell Road, Unit A Goleta, CA 93117 Phone: 805-696-9665 Fax: 805-696-9667 Contact- Chris Weddle http://www.2weddle.com