Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:57:14 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Easy way to put cylinders on (was Re: head job)
Comments: To: Zoran_Mladen@AMSINC.COM

That is the easy way, but the idea is not to remove the pistons when doing a head replacement. This works great as long as the cylinders don't stick in the heads and come off with them. Then you are faced with the task of getting them over the rings, or removing the pistons. With the piston pins usually very firmly bonded to the pistons, this can be even more difficult than fiddling with the rings!

Zoran Mladen wrote: > > Here's a trick that works for us. > > Using ANY method (ring compressor of any type, clamps, 14 people with really > small/strong hands), slide the cylinder over the top portion of the piston on > your bench BEFORE you put the piston on the engine. Slide the cylinder on just > beyond the rings, which will still expose the wristpin hole. Then simply put > the piston/cylinder combination on in the same manner you would normally put on > just the piston. Once the wristpin and circlips are in place, simply push the > cylinder in the remainder of the way. > > This method is the easiest I know of. We do it all the time... > > Z > > Kent Christensen <lkchris@USWEST.NET> on 02/09/2000 11:14:29 AM > > Please respond to Kent Christensen <lkchris@USWEST.NET> > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > cc: (bcc: Zoran Mladen/AMS/AMSINC) > Subject: Re: head job > > re: you will have a lot of trouble putting the cylinders back on as > they will NOT slip on the piston rings and there is no real way to get > a ring compressor in there > > I have not seen a torn down waterboxer engine but can offer that there > are piston ring compressors specially made for the instance where the > cylinder slips over the piston. This is common in aircraft engines > and I have one for my BMW motorcycles. All it really is is a > compressor that easily dismantles. Got mine (two different models) > from Snap-On.

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext. 8208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://cobaltgroup.com http://UsedEquipNet.com