Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:28:45 -0500
From:         Dominique Cormann <kozmik@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine oil change interval (VW content...)
Comments: To: Southard Family <southard@gis.net>

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 06:42:19 -0500 Southard Family <southard@gis.net> wrote:

> On Monday, February 07, 2000 11:12 PM, Dominique Cormann > [SMTP:kozmik@home.com] wrote: > > AFAIK, your manual should state that the correct oil is an oil that > > qualifies with at least one of the following: > > B3 > > VW 505 > > CF-4, CG-4 > > It doesn't have to meet all of the specs, just at least one of them. > > Right you are! I should have checked my manual before replying. > > It's interesting that VW is instructing dealers to use the synthetic oil > for the free maintenance oil changes, instead of the presumably cheaper > dino oil. See http://tech.vw.com/pdf/V99-05TDIsyn_.PDF (you need Adobe > Acrobat Reader to view this.)

Actually its not that hard to understand once you examine some details.

They need one oil that they can offer to all the dealerships...all the way south to all the way north. They want only one viscousity. They want to keep things simple since the US dealers are completely stupid when it comes to diesels, since some of them have not even touched one before!

Right now in north america, the oils availible to VW that meet VW 505, or B3, are only synthetics. They could have chosen a dino based CG-4 oil, but then they couldn't use the same viscousity year round and in all regions. So its back to a synthetic.

In europe this rule does NOT exist. The dealers have a conventional viscousity vs temp chart ( I had a fellow Freds TDI forum send me some scans of his manual ), so in europe they use different oils in diesels, but that meet the same specs, but they are not limited to synthetics. So you can use a dino based diesel oil like chevron delo 400, but you will have to use the appropirate viscousity for the season/region, they just couldn't trust all the US dealers to wrap their brains around such a complicated question ( heavy sarcasm yes, but its the truth ). They use the same drain times too regardless of synthetic vs non synthetic use. Just as long as it meets the specs listed:

B3 VW 505 CF-4, or CG-4

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann Email: kozmik@home.com Homepage: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca Diesel page: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject 84 Rabbit D - daily driver 84 Rabbit GTD - work'in on it