Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:27:13 -0800
From:         Ron Bloomquist <roadcow@MCN.ORG>
Subject:      Stealth camping

Hi gang,

Well, I guess I can't let this opportunity go by. Besides, Friday is upon us.

I did stealth camping in my 1967 VW Splitty in the parking lot of Northrop Aircraft Corp., down in Hawthorne, California for six months back in the 80's. I was working on the B-2 Stealth bomber so I guess it was only fitting.

You see, I was hired away from Boeing, out of Seattle, took the job, drove down to L.A. and went to work. Didn't know anybody - no place to live except in my bus.

Ended up working 10 and 12 hour days and so, at the end of the work day, I would hop in my bus and leave like any other working stiff - head down to the Venice beach, catch some rays and read a book. When the sun finally hit the horizon I would then find a Mexican restaurant for a cheap meal of chicken, rice and beans and then roll back into the plant parking lot around 10:00 pm using my magnetic badge to open the security gate, park and then hit the sack. Since they were running three shifts at the time my vehicle didn't stand out.

Back up at 4:30 in the morning. Fry up some bacon and eggs on my Coleman and then head off to work a half hour early to use the company showers. I would get some stares from the other arriving employees. Here they just finished their one hour commute from Oxnard and I come bounding out of my bus, bright eyed and smelling of bacon and eggs!!

On the rare times I had a weekend off I would go camping in Joshua Tree, Mojave, Death Valley.

Well, like all good things, it had to end. I was making way too much money and had no rent. The bucks were piling up. What to do?

I bought a 1974 Harley Superglide. Way cool! except, where to park it? Why not along side my bus? Then I found a good deal on a MG Midget. Now I am taking up three parking places and juggling vehicles all the time. Finally, one night plant security is beating on the door of my bus. "Come out! We know you are in there!"

I was informed that camping in the parking lot was not allowed. Plus, there were no facilities.

I thought about showing them my pee bottle but...

Anyway, that was one of the most interesting times in my life. Juggling three vehicles while homeless and making 50,000 a year.

Oh, yes. The stealthy part. I put up 1/4 inch plywood panels over the bus window on standoffs so I could have the windows open for air circulation and the interior light of my bus would not be seen. That way I could read while in my sleeping bag. I also had head phones so I could listen to music and news over the radio.

By the time I finally got thrown out of the parking lot I had developed some friendships at work and rented a room from one of my friends. That was the end of Stealth camping. It was all down hill from there and soon, way too soon, back into the normal 'merican rat race.

Ron Bloomquist ROADCOW VANARU