Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Feb 2000 00:49:47 -0800
From:         Tim High <tskyhigh@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      preventive hose replacement

Here's a little story that will make you think twice about your old hoses.

I had one of the large engine compartment hoses split while driving up Donner Summit (I-80, CA) in September. These were original hoses and showed no signs that they were ready to blow. My coolant level light came on and I noticed the big cloud of white smoke billowing from the rear of the van. I made it to the rest area, let things cool down a bit and patched up the hose.(soda bottle plastic, plastic bag, and lots of duct tape) I filled back up with water from my tank and off I went. That day I ordered a full set of the large hoses. (I had previously replaced the front and rear heater hoses). I recieved them a couple weeks later. My patch actually lasted that long but was starting to leak. The night I got them I replaced the bad hose, but didn't have time to do the others as I had to leave for San Fran at 4:00 am and it was already dark. I figured I could do the rest when I got back. Well on the way back another hose split. This time however, my coolant level sensor light gave no warning and I missed the cloud billowing out the back. I have very dark tinted windows, so unless I was looking in the side mirror at the time, I would not have seen(and obviously didn't). Believe it or not the temp gauge also behaves quite normal when there is no coolant in contact with it. Needless to say I had a meltdown. It finally quit when one head melted around the exhaust valves killing all compression. The smell of burning aluminum is not one of victory. So the morale of the story...... old hoses will go at some point, and when one goes the others will most likely follow, which is why you should replace all. I bet the keen observers are wondering about the level sensor. Apparently water or coolant got under the rubber boot of the plug attached to the sensor. My guess is either when the first hose blew or when I filled back up. The water under the boot kept the circuit closed when the second hose blew, which left me hanging out to dry. (I know, I know that was horrible pun, I couldn't resist) So that's just one more thing to check. Make sure the plug is dry after you add coolant.

Also some other preventive thoughts, anyone driving a van of any age that has not replaced the fuel injection hoses, should do so asap. If you wonder why I say that, then search the archives using the key word fire.

If anyone wants to know how the van is doing now and the repairs I can tell that tale later, but right now it's bed time.

Tim H. Lake Tahoe, CA 85 WWW custom camper(Katie Mae)