Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:02:31 -0600
From:         Jennifer Jones <jj1@MAIL.TDS.NET>
Subject:      '80 vanagon camper for $5000 - is it worth it?

I'm brand new here and not too experienced with Vanagons, except that I know I like 'em and I'd LOVE to have a camper. I live in Wisconsin, and as you can imagine, there ain't too many vintage VWs out here, esp campers. So, I happened across one for sale in the paper 2 days ago -I caught it the same day it went in - and went to look at this van.

This thing is a beaut. Stove still has original packing material and has never been used, neither has the sink. Carpet looks like it was put in yesterday. Van still has the original manual, electrical cable, curtains, and snap-in screen for the back - all in perfect shape. Canvas on the pop-top is still soft and supple. Almost no rust. Here's the real kicker - the thing only has 47K original miles on it, and the last 11K of those are on a rebuilt engine direct from VW! I guess the original owner lived down in the heat of Georgia and would drive around the city with the air conditioning on (she had the thing fully loaded with automatic transmission, air and cruise control). The guy who's selling it now is the third owner. The original engine was leaking oil and finally blew on him 2 years ago - he claims due to her driving in the city heat with the AC on. He had the person who installed it disconnect the AC and cruise control on the new engine.

Anyway - it's REALLY been taken care of and has lived most of it's life in a garage. I test drove it and it's totally smooth, from what I can tell. Brakes are a little soft, but if pumped are better (is this normal? he says he replaced all the pads last year...). Runs like a charm, but I'm not an expert by any means, on what a VW should sound like.

So, here's my delimma. I really want this thing but I'd like to get a maintinence and compression inspection first. We can't get it in any place until Monday, and he's set to show it to other people this weekend. I'm worried one of them will offer him the full amount on the spot. He's asking $5000. He said he'd be somewhat negotiable, so maybe I could talk him down to $4500.

Should I just buy the van without getting it inspected? I can go and look at it again on the guy's lunch break tomorrow. I checked and the trade-in value of an excellent-condition '80 camper with 47,000 miles is only $1800, the re-sale value is about $4000. Usually, buying from an individual, the price should be somewhere in between the two. I don't know - but I don't want to loose out on this opportunity.

What do people think? Is it worth $5000? Do you think he'll get an offer from somebody over the weekend?

ANY help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!

JJ