Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:56:43 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Synopsis Re: Engine oil change interval

At 10:28 AM 02/08/2000 -0500, you wrote: >On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 06:42:19 -0500 >Southard Family <southard@gis.net> wrote: > >> On Monday, February 07, 2000 11:12 PM, Dominique Cormann >> [SMTP:kozmik@home.com] wrote: >> > AFAIK, your manual should state that the correct oil is an oil that >> > qualifies with at least one of the following: >> > B3 >> > VW 505 >> > CF-4, CG-4 >> > It doesn't have to meet all of the specs, just at least one of them. >> >> Right you are! I should have checked my manual before replying. >>

I've been following this string without comment wondering how long it would take for someone to consider WHAT is specified by the Neandereers who designed it, per the Book. If the question WHY is't specified is not addressed, find out WHY before assuming you know better. That really is an element of the DM that pervaids Americans. WHAT is fine to know, but WHY is essential for understanding. We are always in need of reason. Prove it to me, WHY can't I do different.

The service manager who told WHAT was right didn't himself know WHY so he couldn't or didn't want to take the time to explain. Don't ask a "people person" service manager an engineering question. All he can tell you is WHAT the Book says. If you can read, you don't need him for that. Always do WHAT the book says until your futher efforts find out WHY that or something else might be better.

If you find a service manager at some dealer that enthusiastically tells you WHY 'cause he was just as curious about WHY as we are and found out, note the address for future return. Tell everybody else where such a jewel might be found. He deserves the business.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim San Juan Island, WA