Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:30:48 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Problem with Throttle Valve

I have been having a binding problem with my throttle valve since before Christmas. I clean the throttle valve with some brake cleaner and that is when my troubles began. The next day the van would not idle only die. I found that the idle position switch would not work unless you slammed the throttle plate shut or gave it an extra push. I was going on a trip so I adjusted the switch so that it would close when the throttle was slowly released. This fixed my idling problem, now I believe I am having some other problems because the throttle is not shutting all the way at idle. I am also noticing that after the van warms up a bit, the throttle switch is no longer being activated unless I kick the pedal (using my digitool to determine this). I have checked and readjusted the throttle screw per Bentley with no luck.

The throttle feels really stiff and binding. I cleaned it up with scotch brite inside and lubed it up with LPS 2 (avaiation grade lubricant) but it still seems to bind. I also hear a crunching noise (like dirt) when I move it.

I checked it for play and the shaft doesn't seem to have side to side play but does move up and down a bit.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? How did you solve it? I am thinking about taking the whole thing apart and cleaning and lubing it this way but I wanted to check to see if there were any alternatives before I tried this.

Thanks, Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Office (856)-765-1583 Shop (856)-327-0027 Fax (856)-327-2242