Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:19:30 -0500
From:         Dan Downey <djdowney@WORDSTOCK.COM>
Subject:      starting problem

I've recently been given a '80 camper by a friend. I'm very new to the VW world and never really had must interest in autos etc. other than as transport. I've found myself very intrigued with this vehicle and I'm slowly addressing its many problems. Fortunately I've got lots of books and docs that came with the vehicle so I'm taking a crash course.

My big problem with it is initial starting. It initially turns over fine but then dies. Successive starts get successively better and by the 6th or 7th try something seems to catch and the engine perks up and works like a champ. Once "warm" I can turn it off and it will start immediately without trouble, the problem only happens when I do a cold start. Strangely this is the first vehicle I've ever had with fuel injection so I'm really clueless what to even look at. Any tips would be appreciated.

I want to learn enough about the basics of the vehicle to feel pretty comfortable with troubleshooting it myself, it is a camper after all and that's what I've got planned for it. This is the perfect rig to use to haul big telescopes out to remote dark places away from the light pollution in the cities.

Has anyone done business with Petrosillo Bros. In Somerville, MA? They were recommended as being good with Vanagons.

This mail list has been a great resource for me. I've enjoyed reading it over the last week and look forward to diving into the archives. I'll try not to ask too many naive questions. I've noticed how tired people seem to be about questions on tires (though I'm still undecided on good off road tires).

Thank you all in advance.

Dan - Boston