Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:12:19 EST
From:         Nathan Richmond <Hailcall12@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '80 vanagon camper for $5000 - is it worth it?

I subscribe to the philosophy of "knowing what you are getting into". Late last summer I started my search for an air-cooled Westfalia. After scouring all the resources, looking at and test driving several, and talking with numerous local mechanics, I decided to buy a 1983 air-cooled Vanagon Westfalia with a bad transmission and a horrendous oil-leaking engine. By now, you are probably thinking "what an idiot". Not really. The van is rust free and all the camping equipment is intact and in good shape. This, and the fact that i got it for next to nothing, sold me. When all is said and done I will have spent about $4500 and will have a new (rebuild) engine,transmission, clutch,front and rear shocks, tires, and camper top seal. I think this is a much better option (albeit more work) than paying a similar price for a Vanagon in "supposedly" good working order. I knew exactly what i was getting and when finished I'll know exactly what I have. No suprises when you start with a junker.

My very humble opinion.

Nate Richmond