Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:55:18 -0500
From:         Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: quebec city - miami
Comments: To: Pierre A Lachance <palachance@CCAPCABLE.COM>

> we will be driving on I- 87,88,81,77,26 and finally 95, and maybe >with a stop in myrtle beach ???

It will be warmer than Quebec, but I don't think Myrtle Beach will be too great for camping right now. Weather can be unpredictable this time of year.

I know that you will want to stay on the Interstates to get South as fast as possible, but when you get south of Jacksonville, FL you can have a much better (more enjoyable) time of it going on the "other" highways. Unless you are Hell Bent on getting to Key West as fast as possible, US 441, US 27 are alternate routes and we drive 65 mph on them and no faster on I-Routes. You have to stop more often, though. Better restaurants, cheaper gas. Great State Parks in Florida. Ocala National Forrest has some great campsites too (Salt Springs, Juniper Springs). Blue Springs on US 17, North of Orlando has Manatees this time of year (you can snorkle with them). On the Keys, John Pennekamp Coral Reef, Long Key, and Bahia Honda State Parks are all great for camping, but often full at this time of year. Check the Internet for reservations/availability. Craig's Restaurant, just South of Tavernier on the Keys, (right side of road, about Mile Marker 89-90), has the best fish sandwich around, IMHO.

Enjoy your trip!

Jim & Leigh in Atlanta with Herbie our pet '85 Westy