Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:16:51 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Texaco Fast Lube Failure

One of the local area Texaco fast lube places did a number on my van.

I had jsut bought the "88GL I now drive. I want all the fluids checked, and an oil change, new filter, and tranny checked and lube added as necessary.

All seemed to go well. The lube crew running around looking busy. I could see them from the waiting room. In a little bit the lead man on the crew servicing my van came in with the completed checklist...oil changed, new filter, tranny checked and ok, brake fluid level checked & ok, etc, etc, While I was paying the bill, the van was brought around front. I looked under the back end, saw the new filter, checked the oil, and drove away........thinking the floor sure is dirty for that vacumning item to be checked off the list. When I got home, I popped the cover and looked at the filler tank for the clutch/brake fluid. A bit low.....and that was checked off on the list. I was irritated. Obviously was NOT checked. Didn't know where to look on a vanagon. But I didn't go back right away.

Two days later I went to my favorite mechanic for a check on a mechanical item. Ever since I bought the van, there was a whine the tranny and it was difficult to shift into first. I wanted it diagnosed.

The mechanic put it on the rack to begin checking things out. I forgot to tell him I had just had the tranny lube checked. I just a bit he came and said, "I checked to see if your tranny was had sufficient oil because if it is low it will cause damage and whine. I could barely touch the oil with just the very tip of my finger."

I was shocked! Told him it was just checked at the fast lube place when the oil was changed.

He said, "Well, I've got news. That transmission plug has NEVER been out of that transmission, EVER!"

I was stunned! I was furious! I had been ripped off!........and I did go back to the fast lube joint with my verbal chainsaw and do a number on the managers desk. End that part of the story.

The other part of the story was that the tranny was torn down, and reworked. Shifted good after the repair, shifts better today as a result of changing to Redline MT90 synthetic. Runs nice.

Lesson - I know who changes the oil, what goes in is to my specifications, my filter that I provide (Mann of course) goes on, and I watch like a hawk.

John Rodgers "88GL Driver