Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Feb 2000 00:12:02 -0600
From:         Steve Sandlin <ssandlin@LCC.NET>
Subject:      oil change/filter

Though not a Vanagon, several years ago I took my Mercury Capri (Australian) to a Wa*M**t for an oil and filter change. The running gear on this car is Mazda 323...nothing out of the ordinary. Thirty minutes after entrering the bay, One of the techs came running in looking for a manager, and went back out. There were now 3 of them surrounding my car. I finally got them to tell me that they had drained the transaxle instead of the engine, and couldn't figure out how to refill it. They wouldn't let me near the car, and wouldn't hear of letting me check the Ford service manual which was in the trunk. They tried to refill it with 90 wt. gear lube through the drain. On this car, you remove the speedo drive connector and there is a dipstick, and the hole is the filler. They got it full of gear lube, but this 5-speed uses ATF! Talk about poor shifting! Cost them a tranny overhaul (about $850)!