Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:32:50 -0600
From:         George A Lehman <geolehman@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: one more about the '80 Vanagon
Comments: To: jj1@MAIL.TDS.NET

Jennifer,

My first reply was to your first post, this one is after reading the replies and your additional questions. All VWs and cars in general are experiencing entropy from the day there components are built. My van has had these problems since new:

Some may not apply to an automatic but are illustrative non-the-less.

defective clutch slave cyl. at about 25k miles and every 25-30k since. $125 dealer only first time and $45 from Bus Depot the last time.

ECU out at -35 degrees F in the U.P. in 1987.

Upper end of engine rebuilt in 1989, probably from hauling boats and rafts over Rockies and cross continent since new. New clutch with rebuild.

Fuel injection relay out at 102 degrees F near the smiley barn in Hartland in about '91.

Gas tank rusted out on top in about 1995. Replaced with used from Calif.

New pop Top Seals from Bus Depot in about 97-98.

Motor in need of rebuild in 1996. Nursed it until bought a junker with newer VW Canada rebuild and swapped engines.

Starter out in about '97. Tore apart parts vehicle starter and rebuilt mine by hand ... not a smart move as I could have got a rebuild from list vendors for cheap enough. At -5 degrees this morning the rebuild had to be spun a bit before engaging and will need attention again soon.

Tranny out in 1997, got another from a fire damaged vehicle in Milwaukee which served as a temp until bought an excellent used one on this list a few months ago. Am smiling when I shift now-a-days.

Both master cylinders replaced in past few months.

New shocks, rubber bellows on steering racks, ball joints, brake cable and rear brake cyl. and shoes in past year.

Minor seam rust and rust under seal on rear hatch. All being controlled by rust converter and checked occasionally.

Grill replaced from junker, wheel covers from junker, seats from junker ..... I kept all originals as they are still usable.

Wall paper/coverings have mostly been stripped and I have a natural wood looking head liner.

Probably things I have neglected to remember.

Has been a great hobby and a far sight cheaper than the depreciation on the 5 newer cars/vans my wife has had during the same interval. Being in a position to do most of this work myself is no doubt coloring my opions of my van's economy. My back closets are full of parts for the fuel injection, ignition system etc. I keep a full tool kit in the van when travelling.

If you plan on using the van simply as a daily driver ... other vehicles are more practical. If you want a camper or have need of the vanagons huge interior you will not touch anything as neat as a vanagon.

Oh yeah, mostly fun to drive and you meet other crazy folks who are driving vws as a way of life.

Personally a totally clean van seems to be worth the 5k, one with rust on window etc. 3-3.5k seems good also.

George in Superior 1982 Westy bought new in '82

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.