Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:24:16 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      $600!!!! was Re: Problem with Throttle Valve

At 06:49 PM 02/11/2000 -0500, you wrote: >Ken, The way I understand >it, there are several different types with subtle differences. 1st time I >bought one for $25.00 and "modified" to accomplish the task. Guess What? I >did it over with the right part. Problem solved. >BTW- If you go the new route, get ready--$600.00 US at the dealer. I mean >look at that thing! What costs $600.00?!?!?!? >Rant off.

Rant on.

I realize I am shocked at an apparent comfortable margin for some or sundry in that price quote, since I have yet to replace a Bosch alloy throttle body and wasn't aware of the price. I have cleaned a many on VW/BMW/Volvo/Saab yada/yada t-bodies to restore function nominal results. Very simple device of universal application with a few subtle variations. Not 10% the complexity of design or manufacture of the simplest Zenith ever conceived.

Helping a friend with a Mazda 2000 pickup, it took 5 minutes to identify his problem as super heavy throttle springs wearing the shaft and body to variable false air leaks. $750 for a new carb, and that sucker had more hoses hooked to it than Howard Hughes, not to mention as many springs, levers and circlips as a Dakar Daimler. It looked like $750 worth of fussing for feedback to a comprehensive system of vacuum and electronic interfaces. With pot metal bores ala Solexes, but at least twice the spring tension. Design flaw cum laude, IMBAAO. (In My Biased And Arrogant Opinion)

The Mazda had about 60k on it. $1 per 80 miles for carburator cost, plus a bit for labor. $0.0125 per mile. Compared to $600 to wear out the VW unit in how many miles??? (Need more data).

Rant off.

It may well be a much better value than the YamaKawaHonZuki approach, but I suggest the demand for Bosch replacements to be very low, therefore the production numbers low, therefore cost to manufacture out of proportion with higher volume parts. Boy, am I reserving judgement on the plastic fiber stuff in current production. When I've seen several in nominal functional order after 200k, I'll be a believer. Until then, I don't even want to know what they cost. It wouldn't suprize me if the cost was more pennies per mile for continued use than any Bosch system alloy t-body.

It also remains to be seen how many of these new age recyclable parts actually get recycled as contemplated. But what makes more sence to recycle than aluminum? Mucho big electrons are needed for new. Considerable less to melt and repour. Shreading, remelting and reforming plastic sounds good only if it is actually done and actually works economically, which is what I suggests remains to be seen.

Judgement must be held while this experiment is being run until meaningful data is created at some point in future, IMBAAO. Till then, clean the t-body periodically and put a drop of oil at the shaft bores at every lubrication inspection for much longer life, plastic or alloy, bushed, bearinged or not, either carbed or fuel injected.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim San Juan Island, WA