Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:19:05 -0500
From:         ed <edevinney@BIGFOOT.COM>
Subject:      New Syncro Owner :-)

With thanks to all who have provided valuable insights here (knowingly or not), Chrissie and I sallied forth this weekend to look at an 86 Syncro we found on epages (www.ep.com) in Quakertown PA. We arrived late enough to miss the PA Vanagon breakfast at the Pennsville Diner (I think we arrived as the last party left - brown Westy?), but had an adequate meal there anyway.

Drove over to see Joe, the man with the van. Joe collects old VWs, and drives a Syncro pickup. The 86 GL was his 'backup', and it needed to move out to make $$ for a 57 Beetle Convertible. Carfax showed that the 108,000 miles were correct, and the van passed the usual tests - trans not noisy, vc worked, engine doesn't leak, mechanical maintenance appeared to be sufficiently fanatical in the 4 years he's owned it. Heads done by previous owner and trans replaced with good used box & new clutch 15000 miles ago. Body is clean, paint original. Tires are Conti reinforced, correct AFAIK and matched in wear.

Besides the generally solid nature of the van, it also had the (Carat? Multivan?) interior with table and rear-facing middle seats. For those who are keeping track, we paid him 6k. I'm looking at this as a long-term project, and having been burned in the past building from trash, I thought I'd try for the best I could find. I would have liked to have paid a few hundred less, but didn't see that happening - he was pretty wed to his price, and that seems to be the going rate - anything Syncro and running seems to be 3500-4k.

I probably should have waited and bid on the 87 on ebay, but don't have the time to keep shopping when a good candidate is in front of me...

So we picked up transit tags and drove 50 miles to my folks' house to pick up the kids, and to remove the &*^*^%@! aftermarket cruise control bracket that hung the throttle up full-on if you floored it - I did it 2x on the test drive and I think Joe nearly lost his mind - he had clearly never pressed the pedal all the way down!

After dinner we packed the kids and me in the Subaru and Chrissie drove her new mom-mobile the 200 miles to Virginia. Van seems to run really well, has no problem at 70mph, responded well to my wifes solid-lead foot.

Now my flood of newbie questions:

1) The oil light & buzzer went off twice, Joe claimed that it was a bad wire, and I believe that - the rearmost sensor lead is sitting on the engine case and the insulation has almost completely broken down. No noises indicated low pressure (I would expect the lifters to start ticking), and it happened at odd times. I'm not happy that he never had this fixed, but so it goes - I'm sure I'll find more DPO items... In addition to replacing the wire, I'd like to fit a real guage - what thread size T should I use?

2) The middle jump seats have no belts, but looking at the frame I see lugs that look like they should take a clip-on lap belt. Anyone have a spare set or two? Are there shoulder belts for these seats? Should I not, say, have my local race shop fit Schroth harnesses :-) ?

3) In the same vein, I'm judging from the tech bulletins on Helmut's section of Tom's/Relitech that the 90-91 vanagon had 3rd row shoulder belts. I see there are p/n's for the retrofit kit, but figured I'd check here to see if anyone had the later belts lying around, assuming I can use them.

4) Shocks are needed. This will be a street vehicle, very little offroad. I'm probably too late to get in on the OME deal, so should I go Boge or Bilstein? KYB doesn't seem to have a good rep for longevity here. I don't feel that the van is undersprung (ie, don't need the extra oomph of gas shocks, although there are surely other advantages)...

5) Joe got about 10k from a set of plugs - is this normal? Recommendations for plugs?

6) The first person to build a shortened, widened Subaru-conversion oil pan can count me in as customer #1 :-) The engine in this one seems solid, but we could use another 35 horsepower and the lack of $400 hose sets.

7) Excellent advice was given by phone, for free, from Weddle and Ken Wilfy - I shall be ordering from you both this week. Thank you.

More to come as it happens -

ed devinney, Purcellville VA

72 Plymouth 'cuda 340 (running real soon now, yeah, that's it) 85 Dodge p/u (mondo beater) 86 Vanagon Syncro (uber-mom-mobile) 96 Porsche 911 (Chrissie said I could have my mid-life crisis early) 97 Subaru Legacy wagon (beloved wife's beloved car)